SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XC90 went for inspection today, mechanic says the front resonator has a very small leak somewhere, noticed only at WOT. It's been rotting for awhile now, currently held together with hose clamps. I'd rather not replace it as the design is flawed. The only issue is that it's not as simple as welding in a straight section of pipe due to the 2 cats needing to come together. Anybody know of a fix for this or seen one?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I am sure a decent muffler shop can salvage the front pipes off of that piece and put a y on it with a straight pipe. I would ask around first.

·
3,391 Posts
I used my rusty resonator as an excuse to buy the R-Design sport exhaust system. It worked out very well!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Stupid front muffler. Hit a pothole today and it blew apart... has anyone just deleted it? I like a quiet car for conference calls from the road, but 350 just for the muffler is stupid.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear that. Other posts I've read about deleting the resonator seem to indicate increased noise would only be noticeable under WOT. Now that the weather is starting to get warmer I'm going to try to cut off the flanges from the resonator and make a y-pipe section that will bolt up. I just can't believe with how many rotting front resonators I see on xc90s that nobody has made a cheap bolt up solution to this.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I ordered all the parts and am going to replace it next weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts