SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Front Passenger's Door won't latch

601 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Almaz 
#1 ·
Hey All,

2015.5 V60

Wife went to go to work this morning and the front passenger's door won't latch. Door just opens and closes with no resistance. We both took the day off work. I took it to Volvo because I didn't have time to investigate. Service adviser said it'd be the actuator. He told me almost $800 to replace it. $246 part. I bought the part, brought it home, installed it. Same issue. I'm currently letting the car sit with the battery unplugged to see if something will reset.

Any other thoughts?

#2 ·
Hey All,

2015.5 V60

Wife went to go to work this morning and the front passenger's door won't latch. Door just opens and closes with no resistance. We both took the day off work. I took it to Volvo because I didn't have time to investigate. Service adviser said it'd be the actuator. He told me almost $800 to replace it. $246 part. I bought the part, brought it home, installed it. Same issue. I'm currently letting the car sit with the battery unplugged to see if something will reset.

Any other thoughts?
Not an expert here... Can you move the latch within the door by hand? On other vehicles I have moved the latch by hand and was able to get it to lock as it typically would when closing the door.

I guess I'm not sure what actuator your referring to here. Did you inspect the latching mechanism?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I replaced the actuator on the rear door and same thing happened to me. I went nuts.
Turned out to be real simple:
There is a small rubber insert that comes with the new part, for shipping I suppose. It's about 0.75" in size. Pull that out and you are in business.
I'm not sure if you can do it without taking the actuator out, you'd have to look. I still have it sitting on my workbench and can take a picture of it tonight if you need.
Let us know.

#5 ·
I agree, it was very frustrating but on the bright side it meant more practice and more familiarity with the inner workings of the outside door handle.
Like you said, if it happens on another door it won't be so bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.