SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Goodyear Eagle GT All Season 235/45/R17's on my 02 S60 AWD. When i bought this car 15 months ago, these tires came pretty darn new with lots of treads on my 17" Amaltheas. I have rotated the tires one time. Now, it seems that the passenger front side tires is loosing all the treads but all other three tires have enough tread left. Is it because of alignment issues? Now when i make turns in good speed, i can hear a screeching sound sometimes.

Also, i am thinking of changing all four tires, any recommendations? I like the eagle gt's but i think it is way too noisy. I prefer quieter ones, I have got recommendations from couple of the R owners at the meet ups to go with Michelin rather than Conti's because con ti's are too soft.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
If one of four tires is wearing significantly faster than yes, I would advise having the car aligned first. A good alignment shop will do a check of the entire front end and let you know if there are worn components that need to be replaced. Some shops have "lifetime" alignments where you can take the car back over and over and never pay again, I'd also recommend that, my local Firestone does this and it has paid for itself time and time again.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If one of four tires is wearing significantly faster than yes, I would advise having the car aligned first. A good alignment shop will do a check of the entire front end and let you know if there are worn components that need to be replaced. Some shops have "lifetime" alignments where you can take the car back over and over and never pay again, I'd also recommend that, my local Firestone does this and it has paid for itself time and time again.
+1, get it aligned/checked out

I have bridgestone potenzas on my S60 and they seem to have done well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went Michelin a while ago and I'll never look back. Great traction and upper level life span.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Apparently a bad toe adj will wear a tire horribly. But if the toe in one position is bad enough to wear a tire severley compared to the rest of the set, I expect it would feel squirrely at speed.

BTW, I love my Eagle GTs. They grip pretty well, aren't loud at all (I never run w/o the music on tho, except Sundays and its below 40 mph then) and have super-beefy sidewalls.

If you want quiet, Michelin is the way to go, but to get quiet, generally, you'll be trading some performance. I've heard Pilots are every bit as loud as any other extreme performance tire.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my entire front suspension change couple of months ago and this mechanic was supposed to align it. I doubt he ever did that. That's what i get for seeking cheap service.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the Eagle GT's are great. The grip is pretty good, however, I don't always drive with music. I don't know if its the tires making noise or wind entering the cockpit. Lol. Its just to loud at High speeds of 80 MPH + ..

What do you mean by "Squirrely at speed?"?? My steering wheel vibrates by crazy at high speeds, all i think was the alignment and tire treads mismatching.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

I recently changed all four tires, did the firestone lifetime alignment. This time i did a little research on tirerack and went with the Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22. I really wanted the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Poleposition but it was way too expensive. These Kumho's were second after potenza and cannot beat the price for ratings. So far i was about 350 miles on the tires. The car runs much more smoother and the tire noise is almost not there. Kumho says the treads in this tire are placed asymmetrically to reduce the noise? But i am really satisfied with these tires. Grip is excellent. Does an easy 90mph without any shaking or steering vibrations that i used to get in the Goodyear eagle gt's. These Kumho's are much quieter than the eagle gt's. Grips the road pretty good. So far haven't driven in heavy rain but it shouldn't be any problem.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Yeah an alignment is crucial after doing suspension work. Glad to hear it's driving smooth again. I used to run a lot of Kumhos but switched to Falkens a few years ago, Kumhos are good though, I like the Ecsta Supra line for summer weather.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Rotate more often, like with every oil change. Especially with asymmetrical tires where you can't switch sides to spread the wear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rotate more often, like with every oil change. Especially with asymmetrical tires where you can't switch sides to spread the wear.
Will keep that in mind

1 - 11 of 11 Posts