SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night the wife was driving her wagon home and called to say it seems to be vibrating but wasn't sure. When she got home went out to car and passenger side rim was extremely hot, to hot to hold for more than 2 to 3 seconds. Driver side was cold compared to passenger side. Today got car up on jack stands tried to spin wheel and seemed to be quite a bit of drag on brake. Took apart, lubed everything, compressed piston back in, put back together, applied brake and seems to keep sticking and not releasing. What I need help with is first, do you think caliper is shot? There was some fluid on caliper mount and dust boot on piston is not seated properly any more so I think it is getting contaiments in it and in process of failing. Second, think a patially applied caliper could cause vibration? She said it was from 50-60mph when would vibrate. My guess it has warped rotor some and the vibration is the pad rubbing the warped rotor. Oh, she also mentioned that she has been smelling hot brakes on passenger side for last few days which keeps leading me to bad caliper. To bad she didn't tell me when she first smelled it. Sorry for length of post but want to get all info out. <p>Oh, any one know of good salvage yard in Northern VA/DC area to get a new caliper. Trying to keep cost down on the old beater.<p>Thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Front Passenger brake Caliper Problem-00 V70-need help (crazyswede1027)

If the boot was not seaed, it undoubtedly has water in it, and that means corrosion, and a bad piston.<p>These seem to last forever, but consider going to an auto parts store to obtain a rebuilt one. Typical cost seems to be around $120 or less. For instance, <A HREF="http://www.eeuroparts.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.eeuroparts.com</A> has calipers for the V70 LPT car for $39 plus $45 core charge.<p>You have to know what engine, normally aspirated, low pressure turbo (LPT) etc, and what size brakes you have, because some of them list the caliper by brake size 15" or 16" wheels.<p>Partsbin.com has the same rebuild price, but core charge is nearly $62<br>autohausaz.com has them for more, but no listed core chare.<br>pelicanparts.com has similar prices. (I've shopped here and been satisfied with service and parts)<p>Better to get a rebuilt part than a used one with uncertain past.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Front Passenger brake Caliper Problem-00 V70-need help (wizzard_al)

Thanks for the info. Ended up getting from EEuroparts. Had to get a bunch of stuff anyway and 39 dollars is damn cheap for a caliper. Amazing, something actually reasonably priced for the car. Local auto parts stores wanted at least 2 to 3 times as much. Think they feel they should charge more since it is for a Volvo not a Chevy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts