SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are slight issues with my front parking sensors. They work fine and as expected but there are fault codes present.
These codes are only intermittent, i.e. the module is yellow in VIDA. At no point does the system get deactived or display the 'Park assist needs service' message in the instrument cluster.
However on the display you can observe that when the system is active the sensors sometimes cut out for like half a second. Basically when you are close to an object it will be detected, the car will beep at me but the displayed 'bar' for how close I am will cut out and immideately reappear. But only sometimes.

I'm getting the same type of DTC for all four sensors:
- PAM-B1B4001 (front left, outer)
- PAM-B1B4201 (front left, inner)
- PAM-B1B3801 (front right, inner)
- PAM-B1B3601 (front right, outer)

Failure description as per VIDA is 'General Failure Information. General Electrical Failure'
A bunch of reasons and things to look at are suggested by VIDA. The tl;dr is to look for damage to the wiring or sensors.

To get rid of these error codes I have replaced all four sensors with new ones. Twice actually, first used VALEO brand sensors and than OE blue boxed Volvo ones. Nothing changed.
Next I replaced the wiring harness for the front bumper with a brand new OE loom. Nothing changed.
The plug for the front bumper wiring harness has been checked as well with no signs of corrosion.
Same deal with the plug where it connectes to the PAM.

So now what? I can try and replace the PAM but I doubt that's the issue.
Maybe someone has encountered a similar problem and found a solution. I suspect a chafed wire somewhere, possibly a ground wire.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Mine sometimes are activated by a noisy motorbike for example outside the “activation” distance. Why is that?

(Powered by 5 mad Vikings...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the dtcdecode page for your codes:

https://www.dtcdecode.com/Volvo/PAM-B1B4001

Since all 4 front sensors are throwing codes, you're looking for a poor contact in the voltage supply, or a poor contact on the ground side. Get in there with a volt-ohmmeter.
My car is 2012 S60 but I would think the system is built the same way. I have also all 4 front sensors throwing code, so I suspect wiring issue. I tried to look for the connector, in front but didn't find it. I guess I could just check connectivity between the module connector and a sensor but would be nice to have wiring diagram.

Anyone with this info?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts