SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top layer on the front muffler of my 2008 3.2 XC90 is peeling away due to rust. It's probably time to replace soon. Has anyone attempted this a DIY project? If so, it appears like it bolts onto the pipes coming from the engine (and cat), but I can't see how the front muffler joins to the pipe to the rear that eventually connects to the rear muffler. Does anyone know how the front muffler joins to the pipe to the rear of it? I don't see any clamps visible. Does it require cutting and torching? If so, that's about when I bring it into a shop...

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight! Working on the exhaust is new to me.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I just replaced mine. If you buy the parts from Volvo, you will need the front gasket and 4 nuts in addition to the rear compression clamp. When replacing, the front studs just snap or get cut off (new ones are on the muffler) and you have to measure and cut the pipe about 10 inches after the muffler. When installing the new muffler, the clamp slides over the seam created by the existing pipe and the new muffler pipe. The whole project takes about an hour.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just replaced mine...The whole project takes about an hour.
Thanks for the detailed info!

The pipe rear of the front muffler doesn't currently have a clamp on it. It looks like one piece going right up to the front muffler from rear muffler. There is a hanger immediately rear of the muffler (4-5 inches to the rear, perhaps) and I didn't see evidence of a clamp under there. You mentioned cutting the pipe and clamping. Is this done only upon replacement but not with the OEM exhaust coming from factory?

I'm a newbie to DIY exhaust work so I apologize if my questions are trivial to someone more experienced with exhaust replacement.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you end up having to cut and weld, find a muffler shop that TIG welds and have them put it back together. TIG welds are stronger than typical MIG and will resist rusting more in the future.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
So I guess from our combined answers, you will have to cut the muffler out, buy a new one, and weld it in. Unless you want to replace the exhaust from the cat-back.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
And it won't rattle or rust out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally got off my butt and replaced the front muffler...took 2 hours...should have taken 1 but found a hole in the rear muffler that I had to have welded..blah.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

Are there aftermarket center resonators that are equal to the Volvo OE piece, in terms of quality, back pressure and fit?

·
Administrator
55,940 Posts
Here is how the V8 system comes from Volvo - its one big complete system! My original center resonator has some rust up top. I plan to cut the mounting flange off and make a center resonator delete pipe.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Here is how the V8 system comes from Volvo - its one big complete system! My original center resonator has some rust up top. I plan to cut the mounting flange off and make a center resonator delete pipe.

Cut the mounting flange off the old resonator, correct?

Also, my stock R-Design dual exhaust pipes and rear muffler appear to be all stainless steel (center resonator is not).

You painted your new system, didn't you? Was it also stainless steel? What paint did you use (to make it stick if it was stainless steel).

·
Registered
78 Posts
My center muffler or resonator - whatever it's called has the outside metal skin peeling off also. I'm assuming it'll go out one of these days. I was just planning on deleting it and replacing it with a straight pipe. I wanted to do a muffler delete like MN-TURBOR did on this thread, but this is my wife's daily driver and she doesn't want me to mess with it. I thought that if this other muffler goes out, I could get by with it since it becomes a repair issue.

Has anyone just replaced this muffler with a straight pipe and can comment on the sound? I'm assuming it makes the Volvo a little louder, but not as much as deleting the rear muffler.

·
Registered
700 Posts
for what it is worth, our outer layer of metal started to peal back about 2 years ago on the V8, and wind bent it backwards, so I took some tin snips and cut the outer pealing back layer off, been like that for 2 years now. You may not want to rush to replace it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
for what it is worth, our outer layer of metal started to peal back about 2 years ago on the V8, and wind bent it backwards, so I took some tin snips and cut the outer pealing back layer off, been like that for 2 years now. You may not want to rush to replace it.
Same here. I cut off the outer layer and so far no holes in the inner layer of metal after over a year. I'm just waiting for a crack or hole to form then I'll replace it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts