SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of questions - I changed out my front license plate and then later added a license frame, and then later switched frames. All the screwing and unscrewing apparently wore the treads out of the front license bracket because one of the screws won't grip anymore.

Questions:
1. Is this normal or did I get a lemon of a bracket? I just got this car in August and it doesn't feel right that only unscrewing/rescrewing 3 times would cause it to wear the treads.
2. Does anyone know what size screw I should get if, in addition to replacing the front bracket, I want slightly longer screws? (The license plate frame I want appears to be thicker than what the screw can handle.)

Thank you!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the dealer do it. Was too worried about said issues with screws and such. Sad too because the car looks so much better without a front plate!

·
Registered
42 Posts
A couple of questions - I changed out my front license plate and then later added a license frame, and then later switched frames. All the screwing and unscrewing apparently wore the treads out of the front license bracket because one of the screws won't grip anymore.

Questions:
1. Is this normal or did I get a lemon of a bracket? I just got this car in August and it doesn't feel right that only unscrewing/rescrewing 3 times would cause it to wear the treads.
2. Does anyone know what size screw I should get if, in addition to replacing the front bracket, I want slightly longer screws? (The license plate frame I want appears to be thicker than what the screw can handle.)

Thank you!
Take one of the screws out and head to your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowe's, ACE, etc.) and you should be able to find something that's a little thicker and longer... just make sure you get stainless steel so that it won't rust. No need to change the bracket (yet).

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
The 2021 lp brackets actually have a crushing nut (like you'd use for drywall) that flattens out when you tighten, and then provides a metal threaded hole. If you're near a state that doesn't require front brackets, the local dealer can probably help you out... if you come up (or down/left/right) to Mechanicsburg PA I can give you a set.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If done properly, the threads won't be damaged by the screws.
But if the screw doesn't enter the thread as it should, it can easily get damaged.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I run our XC90 without the front plate, no issues so far. It's ugly.
That may not be an option depending on state.

But to OP question, I changed my plates out once when I moved as well as installing a front bumper protection. No problems.

Assuming OP reattached screwed by hand and not a power drill, cross thread should have been detected easily. Might need a thicker screw to correct. I would imagine the entire holder can be replaced.

·
Registered
839 Posts
That may not be an option depending on state.

But to OP question, I changed my plates out once when I moved as well as installing a front bumper protection. No problems.

Assuming OP reattached screwed by hand and not a power drill, cross thread should have been detected easily. Might need a thicker screw to correct. I would imagine the entire holder can be replaced.
My current state "requires" it and so did my last one.

Most states don't want tint on your car yet everyone has it.

Either, not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My current state "requires" it and so did my last one.

Most states don't want tint on your car yet everyone has it.

Either, not a big deal.
That is the sad reality of American laws. It's like they only apply to minorities. I have an accent and a NY license plate - and, worse of all, I had a mask on when i was pulled over in Missouri (three strikes!). So after my car being disassembled for no reason in a very aggressive search, I got a ticket for driving with an obstructed view - I had a parking pass hanging from my mirror. Note that I was pulled over for driving in the left late (I was approaching a left turn, with a signal, but they deny that) and the search was motivated by alleged "nervous behavior" and "eye contact avoidance." The good news is - I might be a minority, but I have good lawyers. But I digress...
Try driving while black without a front license plate or with darker-than-allowed windows in Oklahoma. See if you make it 10 miles.

·
Registered
429 Posts
That is the sad reality of American laws. It's like they only apply to minorities. I have an accent and a NY license plate - and, worse of all, I had a mask on when i was pulled over in Missouri (three strikes!). So after my car being disassembled for no reason in a very aggressive search, I got a ticket for driving with an obstructed view - I had a parking pass hanging from my mirror. Note that I was pulled over for driving in the left late (I was approaching a left turn, with a signal, but they deny that) and the search was motivated by alleged "nervous behavior" and "eye contact avoidance." The good news is - I might be a minority, but I have good lawyers. But I digress...
Try driving while black without a front license plate or with darker-than-allowed windows in Oklahoma. See if you make it 10 miles.
Your local police department is likely hiring. You sound well qualified to be the change you (hopefully) are wanting to see.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Your local police department is likely hiring. You sound well qualified to be the change you (hopefully) are wanting to see.

My friend, we foreigners are not allowed to take jobs Americans are capable of performing. Shooting minorities does not take a PhD.
We only come here because we know stochastic calculus, and you don't :p

·
Registered
429 Posts
My friend, we foreigners are not allowed to take jobs Americans are capable of performing. Shooting minorities does not take a PhD.
We only come here because we know stochastic calculus, and you don't :p
Wow. It's that bad here? I'm unsure why a foreigner would come to such a horrible country.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wow. It's that bad here? I'm unsure why a foreigner would come to such a horrible country.

The answer is, of course, money. Hey, I have even worked in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.... ironically, not a much different theocracy than my next job, in Oklahoma.
Truth is, we are paid a lot of money to come here. There is a salary premium to move to the US, generally known, in the financial industry, as a "s...hole country premium."
If you want to blame me for liking money, hey, I am guilty as charged.

But you are predictable. I could have written your own reply - you had two options:
1 - why are you here if you hate it?
2 - go back home if you don't like it here.

You chose door number 1. I am sure you will pick 2 eventually.
But I am out. It's been good chatting! I don't want to derail the OP's thread further - and this, while entertaining, is going nowhere.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The answer is, of course, money. Hey, I have even worked in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.... ironically, not a much different theocracy than my next job, in Oklahoma.
Truth is, we are paid a lot of money to come here. There is a salary premium to move to the US, generally known, in the financial industry, as a "s...hole country premium."

But you are predictable. I could have written your own reply - you had two options:

But I am out. It's been good chatting! I don't want to derail the OP's thread further - and this, while entertaining, is going nowhere.
Got it. Capitalism and the land of opportunity. And the next breath is criticism of said country. Self hate is consuming you. Enjoy this horrible country!

·
Registered
429 Posts

And comparing Saudi Arabia to Oklahoma? Damn. I didn't realize women couldn't drive a vehicle in Oklahoma until 2018. You sound special with that hypocrisy, and that's depressing. My experience in other countries was much different than your attitude towards the US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Take one of the screws out and head to your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowe's, ACE, etc.) and you should be able to find something that's a little thicker and longer... just make sure you get stainless steel so that it won't rust. No need to change the bracket (yet).
Do we think that getting one just slightly thicker would essentially create new threads there? Or am I risking it just destroying the bracket more? (Sorry for the very basic question.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do we think that getting one just slightly thicker would essentially create new threads there? Or am I risking it just destroying the bracket more? (Sorry for the very basic question.)
To close this out, yes, the plastic is soft enough that a slightly thicker screw was able to create new threads. All good over here!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts