SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question on XC90:

How did you mount your front license plate? Does it require drilling holes in the bumper?

Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We just got our car and haven't mounted the front plate yet. Thankfully, the dealer didn't drill holes for the front mount.

My plan is to use a tow hook mount like this one: http://www.cravenspeed.com/volvo-platypus-pro-series-license-plate-mount/

According to the reviews, there are users who have used this successfully on the new XC90. I've written the company to find out which model works. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
plate holder that drills holes into the front bumper, i did not have the dealer install it, will never be putting it on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Newbie question on XC90:

How did you mount your front license plate? Does it require drilling holes in the bumper?

Thanks.
No drilling for me. Car came with a plate holder. I installed the plate myself in a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Newbie question on XC90:

Thanks.
Was in the exact situation you are in now. I used 3M mounting tape. Going on 2 months with some rain and all is fine.

The car didn't come with a rear mounting bracket either, so I mounted the rear with 3M mounting tape as well.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Another tow hook mount that is better quality and more adjustable: http://www.rhoplate.com/index.html

I have the V2 edition and it is a solid product. I only use it when needed, like crossing an international border to visit Vancouver.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
BJ, sorry to hear that. At my request, my dealer did not drill holes in my P*. In fact they haven't done it with any of their P*'s until optionally at delivery as it's likely P* owners don't want the holes. Nice to have a considerate dealer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
BJ, sorry to hear that. At my request, my dealer did not drill holes in my P*. In fact they haven't done it with any of their P*'s until optionally at delivery as it's likely P* owners don't want the holes. Nice to have a considerate dealer.
I wish I could have known this but all is good. :D

Actually, I think they also drill holes when you do an OSD order. When we got the car it already has a front plate holder together with the Swedish temp plate so I guess you should really tell the dealer that you don't want any of that before they finalized the purchase order.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I am curious any possibility to use some kind of mounting brackets instead of drilling? A luxury car should receive better treatment for this.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wish I could have known this but all is good. :D

Actually, I think they also drill holes when you do an OSD order. When we got the car it already has a front plate holder together with the Swedish temp plate so I guess you should really tell the dealer that you don't want any of that before they finalized the purchase order.
You can have your dealer add the "NOLICE" accessory code to your OSD order so they don't drill in front holes. They'll attach the Swedish plates without them for your delivery!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
The best hole-free options are the tow hook mounts that I and others have posted.

I am trying to see if something stick into the seam between grill frame and bumper is possible. Then it is easy to hook the bottom on the black plastic grill below the bumper.

Or simply something like this just find some spot to fasten it behind the grill below bumper.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I just talked to Calvin Yeung at Rho-Plate. They have an XC90 model that hasn't been listed yet. $99 plus shipping. I'm getting one.
Good to hear the news. Was that for the 2016 or later models?

I was the first to buy for the S60/V60 Polestar model. I chatted with them and confirmed the thread and length of the anchor bolt would work in my car before they shipped me a V2 edition.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I just talked to Calvin Yeung at Rho-Plate. They have an XC90 model that hasn't been listed yet. $99 plus shipping. I'm getting one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the post. Would you please post a pic with your Rho-plate v2 installed on your XC90? Is the tow hook hole covered or sealed once installed? Did you order and use the extender? Calvin at Rho-plate stated that there is no interference with the various sensors when installed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the post. Would you please post a pic with your Rho-plate v2 installed on your XC90? Is the tow hook hole covered or sealed once installed? Did you order and use the extender? Calvin at Rho-plate stated that there is no interference with the various sensors when installed.
Will do. It's 5 days away (coming through Canada Post then USPS) but I'll do it as soon as I get it. Based on where the sensors and tow hook are located I don't see any issue with sensor interference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got my Rho-Plate today. The estimated shipping time was very conservative. The kit looks to be exceptionally well made. I'll likely install it this coming weekend. More pics to come.

·
Registered
187 Posts
1 - 20 of 73 Posts