SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spaced out my rear VOLVO letters last July to V O L V O, and as I bought a $33 full kit, my old letters have just been lying around. I'm a Land Rover fan, and had been toying around with using my old letters on the front of the car. I test fit the old letters and thought they looked pretty good, so I re-straightened the letter spacer and put the letters on tonight. I'm not entirely sold yet, maybe when I PlastiDip the rear emblems black, I'll do the front ones and hopefully that will help it match the car better. Anyways, thoughts? Too much or a good addition. Obviously it's going to be personal opinion, but I thought I'd ask anyways.
Test fit. The last O is slightly off.

Mark center, position where I want it, line up center of L with centerline, emblem epoxy down. (Didn't take pictures)

Masked down per instructions. 1 hour under the tape (directions called for 30 minutes.)

Masking tape off

As a reference, this is sort of the end goal.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what's been putting me off a little. Hoping the PlastiDip will mute it some. I'm also planning on doing the front grille "cross bar" and Volvo emblem, but leaving the blue that says Volvo and the surround showing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you could paint match the letters it'd look pretty sick! Also need to match the curvature of the front of the nose. Good thinkin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll be honest. It's too much. The spacing on the rear is amazing but that's juuuuuuuust a bit too much.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you could paint match the letters it'd look pretty sick! Also need to match the curvature of the front of the nose. Good thinkin

I tried putting them lower and matching the curve, but there wasn't enough letter backing to make me feel comfortable. I don't need one flying off and hitting my windshield It would have made it look That much better. Oh well!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yeah my vote is no on this one.. I don't even like the spaces letters in the back though, it reminds of a Dodge.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah my vote is no on this one.. I don't even like the spaces letters in the back though, it reminds of a Dodge.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
Dodge didn't start spacing their rear letters out until around a 2010 to 2011 face-lift across their models (no doubt copying the other manufacturers that were already doing it). I agree with keeping the front understated. You already have the nice looking R-Design and updated Volvo iron mark emblem, and the grill inserts. We of course appreciate being able to see everything in photos, so keep us updated with what you do next.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took some pictures not focused on the letters, and I actually like it, no reservations. It helps to break up the slab of a hood. And it's going to match the car really well when it's black!

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you're soliciting opinions, I'm casting a vote for no. I think the shape of the RR hood curves forward abruptly in a way that asks for placement of RANGE ROVER, it feels natural. The Volvo hood gradually slopes into the grille which makes the lettering feel awkward.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you're soliciting opinions, I'm casting a vote for no. I think the shape of the RR hood curves forward abruptly in a way that asks for placement of RANGE ROVER, it feels natural. The Volvo hood gradually slopes into the grille which makes the lettering feel awkward.
Same here - the XC90 hood just doesn't have the front face that allows for a natural placement. The new Ford Exploders also have a front edge/face above the grill and below the hood top where they've mimicked the RR lettering with "Exploder". It might look better as you're thinking of blacking it out but might just be a magnet for road grime since it's at a slant. May work better if it were flush (like vinyl cling) or decal vs raised lettering, too.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not for me either I'm afraid. But hey, we're not all the same. If you like it, keep it.

Here's an idea. Put them on the light bar so it spells V O L V O when you pull up in front of your garage door :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts