SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of all days for me to find this out, on a rainy day! I'm thinking it's that coil lock pin that's right beside the latch under the front hood that's worn out or needs to be adjusted. I know it might need to be lubricated as well.<p>So for now, I won't drive over 30mph. And I also hope rain doesn't seep into the battery. I will get some bunji straps to hold down the front for now.<p>

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Front hood won't stay shut (Vanguard)

Raymond;<p>Could be the cable is binding and not returning to the fully closed position.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Front hood won't stay shut (gdill2)

I had this happen because of rust in the mechanism. Penetrating oil, a big hammer to jar the mechanism, and white grease afterward solved my problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I did today on my 1980 245DL was just push that white pulley (located on the driver's side by the fuse box) and the front hood closed properly without a problem. Yeah I'm guessin the somethin needs to be oiled or replaced.<p>

·
Registered
636 Posts
Long time fix.<p>1. Open hood.<br>2. Remove 6 ea black or white plastic fastners holding in your headlight bezels and grill.<br>3. Mark location of the two 10 mill bolts that hold the hood latch to the core support. Remove bolts. <br>4. The latch lock will fall down, grab it and spray it with PB blaster. You will see a cable attached to this mechanisim. Spray blaster in the cable.<br>5. Pull lock assy against the cable till it is loose.<br>6. Wipe off PB blaster compound and lub with white grease like mentioned in the above post.<br>7. Installation is reverse of removal. This will last about 5 years. No worries.<p>^5s

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (DVolvoguy777)

Thanx. I have to get hands dirty with my car anyway. These "certified Volvo technicians" sometimes worry me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: (Vanguard)

I have had the hold down that is supposed to be screwed into the hood come out on me before you might check to see that it is not staying in the latch and if it is in proper adjustment. It is adjustable with an adjustable wrench and a flat blade screwdriver.<p>Benjamin Florence

1 - 7 of 7 Posts