SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OE grille has generous openings between the vertical slats. At a little over 12k miles, I see small dents on some of the radiator fins. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but made me wonder about grille options.

I got a hold of an extra OE grille, with opening for the front camera:

Looks like this grille was a witness to a minor front impact; there is a small crack where the diagonal accent meets the bottom area of the grille, and the chrome trim of the lower diagonal portion has been replaced by a generic chrome trim stuck with double sided tape.

Otherwise, the tabs etc. seem to be complete & intact, as seen from the rear:

To be continued...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you planning?
No idea. In my other vehicles, there is a simple solution to add a mesh grille insert to help keep the radiator fins more pristine long term. I'm not so much worried of radiator damage than the long term appearance of it.

I could just zip tie a stiff metal mesh behind the vertical slats of the grille and call it a day, but there could be opportunity to do something more challenging.

Maybe metal mesh like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CCG-UNIVER...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or plastic:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

In addition, the lower grille opening could also use a similar solution, as the charge intercooler fins are down there.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removing the logo

Here's a closeup of the rear part of the grille, where the logo attaches to. The logo is a 2 part piece; a chrome piece for the shield and spear and "volvo" lettering, and a gloss black piece for the background of the lettering and underneath it.

The tabs of the 2 pieces catch onto each other and to the grille itself. The black piece comes off first, held by 4 slots on top and 3 tabs on the bottom:

With the black piece removed, the chrome piece shows a portion of the grille that has a keyed rectangular opening for the camera. I assume the key ensures that the camera will be installed in the right orientation:

The chrome piece has more slots and tabs, and takes a bit more effort to remove. Each tab and slot that has been freed off its slot and tab pair will need to be wedged out of alignment for the piece to be removed.

This is the extent of the chrome piece:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One idéer you could do is to illuminate the chrome parts of the grille?
Interesting; tied to the daytime running lights or independent?

I thought the chrome piece is originally an opaque material (before the chrome-colored coating is applied).

·
Registered
120 Posts
The emblem light piggy backs on the headlight fuse.

What you do is with a micro tool brush of the chrome on the back of the emblem and on the front, with precision, exposé the contours. Then incapsulate the brigthest, water proof led stripe you can find.

Full mounty would be to image the Volvo face published as a concept.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Using the headlight fuse turns off the emblem light in parking mode and turns on with DRL and with the headlights.

The emblem light dosen’t show during the day and is barely noticeable in the beginning of dawn.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Very cool. One fantasy I've had is to take out the Volvo name and put a prancing moose inside. Having it backlit would be extra credit!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it has the same emblem as XC90.
Nice work
You know when the new my20 grille becomes available, from the looks of it, the support for lighted emblem is much easier with the 2D design. Maybe thats the intention?
My guess is that it makes it easier to hide the camera; the black piece could have a tinted portion for the camera. I believe Mazda and Genesis currently do this for their camera system.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool. One fantasy I've had is to take out the Volvo name and put a prancing moose inside. Having it backlit would be extra credit!
I'm not big on too much lighting customization, but I'd pay for a back-lit moose!
You could trim off the middle "volvo" part (i.e. the chrome piece of the logo shown in post #4) and remove the black piece that sits in front of the chrome part.

Then, cut a circular piece of clear acrylic to fit inside the volvo shield, mask a shape of your choice (e.g. prancing moose), paint the clear acrylic flat black, and then spray paint frosted glass on the shape.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Continuing the disassembly: chrome grille surround

Continuing the grille disassembly; this time it is the chrome surrounding the grille. The chrome surround is affixed to the main grille with tabs along the top and slots along the sides and bottom. That big notch on the top area is for the diagonal line that crosses the volvo logo.

Here's a closeup of the tabs along the top; prying them upwards frees the tabs from catching onto the main grille piece:

And the chrome surround removed from the main grille structure. Note there is another notch at the bottom for the diagonal line.

Here's the main grille piece with most parts removed. There are 2 parts that remain affixed; the rubber gasket visible along the top edge, and a shroud extension behind the rubber gasket along the top edge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd think an expanded or perforated sheet, or wire mesh cut to size behind the grill would solve the problem of dented fins. I wouldn't be too concerned about airflow through the grill to the radiator; there's enough space between the back of the grill to the front of the radiator for the fans to do their job. However since you're concerned with appearance it's tough to say how this would look once behind the grill.

Alternatively, you could always use a condenser fin brush to re-align the bent fins.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd think an expanded or perforated sheet, or wire mesh cut to size behind the grill would solve the problem of dented fins. I wouldn't be too concerned about airflow through the grill to the radiator; there's enough space between the back of the grill to the front of the radiator for the fans to do their job.
I agree. That's the type of mesh I used for my other vehicles.

Alternatively, you could always use a condenser fin brush to re-align the bent fins.
I didn't know such a thing existed. Thank you for mentioning it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You could trim off the middle "volvo" part (i.e. the chrome piece of the logo shown in post #4) and remove the black piece that sits in front of the chrome part.
Then, cut a circular piece of clear acrylic to fit inside the volvo shield, mask a shape of your choice (e.g. prancing moose), paint the clear acrylic flat black, and then spray paint frosted glass on the shape.
Another option is to 3D print that (clear) circular piece featuring, for example, the Prancing Moose. One would just need to measure some key features then build it on 3D CAD. Then any logo like the Prancing Moose would also be added in 3D CAD.
Does anyone know how much that front grill assembly or particularly the central circular components cost by chance?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Would you have any details/pictures of how the LED is placed behind this central circular piece?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts