SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think these photos speak for themselves. I saw something hanging down from my XC90 this evening and found this. :facepalm:

This is exhaust for a 3.2 I6 engine.

Short of replacing the exhaust pipes coming off the manifold, any suggestions how to reconnect the pipes to the rubber hanger bracket?

I couldn't easily find a replacement hanger, which I assume is because the hangers are probably welded right to the pipes at the factory. I know Volvo has a "repair kit" for the rear exhaust hanger as those tend to also rust through but I couldn't find any equivalent for this hanger.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas or pointers. I'd prefer not to have to replace that exhaust section just for the hanger.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think I would either discard it or prop it back up against the pipe and hit it with the MIG but with welding there is the possibility of burning it through.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I would either discard it or prop it back up against the pipe and hit it with the MIG but with welding there is the possibility of burning it through.
Even if I remove the broken hanger, I’m assuming it’s not good to have those exhaust pipes hanging there without connecting to the frame of the car, right?

I’m guessing vibration and gravity could strain the upstream connection with the manifold?

·
Registered
534 Posts
You are probably right. Milwaukee must be in the rust belt like in Ontario. Every time my daughter doesn't use her car for a while she gets brake noise from all the rotor rust. If it were mine I'd try welding it. If you don't have your own welder it might run into a few bucks. Got a favorite muffler shop?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are probably right. Milwaukee must be in the rust belt like in Ontario. Every time my daughter doesn't use her car for a while she gets brake noise from all the rotor rust. If it were mine I'd try welding it. If you don't have your own welder it might run into a few bucks. Got a favorite muffler shop?
Milwaukee has a similar climate to Toronto (can't speak towards all of Ontario) - about same latitude north and both on the western shore of a Great Lake. It's mostly all the road salt that rusts any exposed metal in short order. The exhaust pipes don't stand a chance!

I'm not well versed in welding. I assumed that wasn't an option since the metal is so rusted (at least on the surface). The exhaust pipes themselves appear solid - just the surface rust. I'll call up the local mechanic I usually get work done at and see if he has welding equipment or can recommend a place. Welding has to be cheaper than the cost to replace those pipes (which include two inline cat converters).

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you want a DIY project just put a couple of pairs of hose clamps around it. The fix might hold a little and keep the hanger out of sight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Taking the hose clamp idea, I bought some stainless steel zip ties and was able to get them tight enough so the hanger and exhaust pipes are fairly tight together and hanger is again doing its job. Definitely not a permanent solution, but this is a 11 year old vehicle so it'll do for now until that section of exhaust needs replacement or something else dictates the XC90 is ready to move on to the junkyard in the sky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts