SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2021 XC40 T5 R-design with Polestar and haven't even made a payment yet and am having a front end vibration. I dropped it off at the dealer for the second time today. At the first appointment they rebalanced the tires. The vibration is still there. It can be felt in the steering wheel, seat and the floor under your foot.
Is anyone else experiencing the same issue or have any ideas what could be causing the problem.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On past cars when I have a frontend vibration, I change tires one-by-one and retest.

Move left-front to left-rear and drive. If the vibration moves to the rear, you have a tire tread or balance problem.
Move right-front to right-rear and drive. If the vibration moves to the rear, you have a tire tread or balance problem.

If moving tires doesn't change the vibration, it's not a tire tread issue or a tire balance issue and you can dig deeper.

I sure HOPE it's a tire issue on a new car and not deeper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On past cars when I have a frontend vibration, I change tires one-by-one and retest.

Move left-front to left-rear and drive. If the vibration moves to the rear, you have a tire tread or balance problem.
Move right-front to right-rear and drive. If the vibration moves to the rear, you have a tire tread or balance problem.

If moving tires doesn't change the vibration, it's not a tire tread issue or a tire balance issue and you can dig deeper.

I sure HOPE it's a tire issue on a new car and not deeper.
Fingers crossed its a simple fix. Thanks..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Susan,
How is it going with the vibration? I have the same issue and it improved only very slightly after I rebalanced my tyres. Did it disappear completely? Hope so!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Susan,
How is it going with the vibration? I have the same issue and it improved only very slightly after I rebalanced my tyres. Did it disappear completely? Hope so!
Hi BarrySP
I still feel a vibration in the front end. It got a little better with the alignment . I also hear a slapping sound coming from the front tires. I hope they're not defective. Others on this forum have had the same issues.
I'm going back to the dealer to have the front tires put on the rear to see if it stops.
I had an S60 before the XC40 and the front end had issues also.
Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2021 XC40 T5 R-design with Polestar and haven't even made a payment yet and am having a front end vibration. I dropped it off at the dealer for the second time today. At the first appointment they rebalanced the tires. The vibration is still there. It can be felt in the steering wheel, seat and the floor under your foot.
Is anyone else experiencing the same issue or have any ideas what could be causing the problem.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks in advance.
We bought ours in January. Been to the dealer twice. I’m sure ours is not a tire issue. At 65 MPH and above it vibrates for 5-6 seconds then stops for 3 seconds then does it again. Dealer cannot replicate the problem because they are limited to 60 MPH. Very frustrating for sure. And don’t get me started about sunroof noise when it has rained. Contacting another dealership to try again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We bought ours in January. Been to the dealer twice. I’m sure ours is not a tire issue. At 65 MPH and above it vibrates for 5-6 seconds then stops for 3 seconds then does it again. Dealer cannot replicate the problem because they are limited to 60 MPH. Very frustrating for sure. And don’t get me started about sunroof noise when it has rained. Contacting another dealership to try again.
The vibration is still there even after the dealership balancing the front tires twice and doing an alignment. I'm taking it back again because they aligned the front but my steering wheel is not straight.
I also have a really annoying loud tire slapping sound when driving.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If not a bent wheel, tires, or alignment issue, my guess it's 99% CV axle related. To verify this, just when cruising at 65-75 MPH, push the gas pedal gently back and forth and see if you feel that vibration.

I'm talking from my experience with my S90, it turned out I had under torqued front axle bolts + defective CV axle that was causing the vibration issue because of slight play. The play couldn't be discovered until the CV axle was removed from the car, and inspected by expert. This is why when the dealer checked for play, they couldn't find anything wrong.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding/replacing the CV axles and will share my whole experience accordingly within weeks.

Honestly, I'm really not sure how these CV axles failed this early. I doubt Volvo is supplying their CV axles from a low quality supplier. FYI, chineese CV axles are known to cause vibration from day 1.

My video of CV Axle excessive play:

Useful information video:

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes. Do you know why?
I don't know why but I had the same thing happened to me: on my old V60 (Lemon, 6000 miles) and on my new car (just over 1000 miles that the dealer has still not touched yet). While my old car was being repaired I've used 4 different loaners: 3 XC40, 1 S60. Except for 1 Xc40, all of them had vibrations and steering wheel off to the left!

Below a quick overview on my old V60 (chasing vibrations to the steering wheel and front seats over 60MPH):

1st repair attempt: balanced wheels, replaced two rear tires. (problem not solved)
2nd repair attempt: balanced wheels, replaced front axles. (problem not solved)
3rd repair attempt: force balanced wheels, performed alignment (problem not solved)
4th repair attempt: force balanced wheels, replaced 4 rotors and pads, replaced drive shaft, replaced 1 front tire (problem not solved).

Vehicle has been replaced. My new V60 didn't show any steering wheel vibration issues until recently. The steering wheel is slightly off to the left. I do not intend of bringing the car to the dealership until the problem gets more serious. I'm not an expert or a mechanic, but my sense is that the car might have a design issue.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Finally I found the root cause of the vibration issue. I replaced the current CV axle with a used CV axle (donor: 2017 S90 30k miles) and yes the vibration disappeared completely from the passenger side (70% of the total vibration is gone). Unfortunately, I will still need to replace the driver side as well as there's also a slight play in inner CV axle joint.

To help everyone, unfortunately, you can't find that play unless you remove the CV axle and check. When it's installed on the car, you might find nothing.

In a nutshell, the cause of the vibration was because of a very slight play in the inner CV Tripod Joint. The factory CV axle for my 2018 Volvo S90 is MADE IN CHINA. Not to comprise the quality of Chinese products but unfortunately, the quality is bad and garbage. Period. So, if your car vin start with LVY, the chance you will have a Chinese made CV axle is 99%.

Anyway, the used CV axke that I installed is definitely Made in Europe as the donor car was a 2017 Made in Sweden. Unfortunately, I didn't discover where the marking is until I installed the CV axle and checked the garbage CV axle. However, the carrier bearing mount was Made in Turkey (31437177). So, it's definitely made in europe.

For the garbage CV axle, the carrier bearing has a different part number (31437750). You can see this part number near the carrier bearing lower bolt once you remove the tire. For the European carrier bearing, it's on the rubber of the bearing instead.

My next step is to find the needed parts to rebuild the garbage CV axle. Mostly, all waht I will need is a high quality Tripod joint made in Europe. That should solve it. I will share that separately later on.

Good luck everyone.

Here are the pictures of the Chinese CV axle:

The used CV axle installed (the bad looking one) hhhh:

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 XC40 T5 R-Design & 2021 Kia Forte GT 6MT
23 Posts
My new XC40 also has a vibration at highway speeds, but it is inconsistent. Feels like a tire balance issue.. but that should be happening all the time. 500 miles on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts