SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so picked up my '06 SR GT for cheap, knowing I'd hafta do some work to it. Beyond the PCV & thermostat/coolant hose swap, looking to basically re-build the entire front end to factory + level...

Have decided to do the 4c delete and use Bilstein HD B6 struts, based on threads here. Seems like cuttin' sensors out of old struts won't be too hard. While tearing chit out, figure to replace LCAs, tie rod ends, end links, subframe bushings.... and wheel bearings and CV axles. Reason being, just noticed a bit of grease splattering on passenger side wheel...likely CV boot fail? With 150K, and expected to keep car a while, I'd just as soon replace with new parts...

QUESTION: I see quite a price differential in CV assemblies, with OEM being ~$600+ a pop, but autozone specials going for ~$100? What would you guys recommend for a direct swap? Are AutoZone or Rock Auto specials OK for our R ?

Same question for wheel bearings...would you stick with OEM, or aftermarket ok?

Also, what else to look into replacing, while the front end is apart? Brakes are OK. Ideally, would like to swap all I can, and get a alignment done, once. Will be doing the grunt work myself...

Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Napa remans the Volvo ones. Get them way cheaper. I've had zero issues with putting 20k on them so far

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If they are brand new axles I would say they are not for the R...learned that the hard way. And that is even if they tell you it is for the R.

·
3,958 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just a complete front suspension rebuild kit (on sale) from IPD with everything Heavy Duty and beefed up for about $550 for my 04 V70R. Putting it on, with my IPD Springs and Sway Bars this week!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just pressed out the bushings on my LCA’s stripped the paint off of them, repainted, new bushings and new bolts/ nuts, new steering limiter. Cheaper to do it that way!!! I can send my partnumbers if you want them!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for replies!
Here's my list:
*** wheel bearings
Lemforder kit: LCA, ball joint, links, plus inner/outer tie rods
VOLVO dust rings & output seals
And, I changed mind and went 4c on the struts, since I've never actually experienced a functioning adaptive suspension. How bad can it actually suck?

CV axles are available from a local store, so will go the route.

Will likely clean up & restore old LCAs with fresh bushings for reserve. Also, will take time to remove the sensors from old struts to keep in reserve for a future 4c 'delete'...

Man, you guys weren't kidding bout these cars needin' some 'scarole to maintain. All good though! Still waaaaay cheaper than a boat, and I know plenty about that!

Once front end is tippy top, will slap the IPD exhaust on and enjoy some exhaust notes...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they are brand new axles I would say they are not for the R...learned that the hard way. And that is even if they tell you it is for the R.
Uh oh...ok thank you!

Mine is '06 SR GT. What differentiates R axles from S60 awd auto axles?
Any recommends to source proper remans?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked spec for NAPA remans. It lists inner mount spline count as 26. But I've read that '06 R GT inner spline is 28?
Trying to get spec on Aisin TF-80sc transmission output spline count, but having no luck.

Axles are apparently VERY specific. Can anyone confirm fitment, or part number for this year and model?

·
3,958 Posts
Have you tried ebay for a used or reman, worst case buy a used and send it it to be rebuilt. It might be cheaper and most axels now a days are rebuilt anyways and you'll get the warranty direct from the REmanufacturer.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I am not sure what exactly is the difference on the front axles I got from one of the parts store but they were definitely shorter than the R units and slid off far enough that I was just spinning my axles in 1st gear when I gassed it while not moving...strange feeling. Mine R is a manual but it shouldn't matter as it seems the non R axles are shorter.

So go reman or OEM...that is your best bet and hopefully you never have to do it again.

Here is from FCPeuro.com:

Front left: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-cv-axle-shaft-s60-v70-8252040#fitment
Front right: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-cv-axle-shaft-s60-v70-8252057#fitment

You can call them to ask them about the splines for OEM and call NAPA as well for the remans.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was thinking what you were typing, Driver!
Just found a used set (70k) off a (confirmed) '06 R GT, and grabbed em. Will swap these in, for now, then have time figure out where to have these (150k+) rebuilt.

Thank you, gents! Reading here saved a potential HUGE headache of trying to make fit a "OEM that fits your car" but doesn't really fit my car...:angryfire:

·
3,958 Posts
I'll be doing my whole suspension in a few weeks. Front control arms, struts, mounts, top hats, bushings, end links, inner an outer tie rods, Ipd sway bar, subframe bushings and same for the rears as well. Will definitely have tons of pictures.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just a complete front suspension rebuild kit (on sale) from IPD with everything Heavy Duty and beefed up for about $550 for my 04 V70R. Putting it on, with my IPD Springs and Sway Bars this week!!!

+2 on upgrading the front end to heavy duty. I would also recommend upgrading the front springs to fix the crashing issue of the 4C suspension, especially if you live somewhere that you have to deal with potholes and speed bumps. It makes the car sit about an inch higher but the ride is so much better. I decided not to delete my 4C, which I'm glad I did, but it was expensive to repair it all. I'm at 170000+ miles on mine also.

I did a write up on the job and how it fixed my front suspension crashing issue: https://alex31014.wixsite.com/kuladventures/home/2004-volvo-s60r-4c-front-suspension-crashing-fix

For the axle I just went with rock auto... Seemed fine to me. Hubs I think I got them from FCP or IPD. Be careful of IPDs HD sway bar and links, I got them from them and they went bad within a year... However, that being said, they sent me new ones for free to replace the bad ones.

·
3,958 Posts
+2 on upgrading the front end to heavy duty. I would also recommend upgrading the front springs to fix the crashing issue of the 4C suspension, especially if you live somewhere that you have to deal with potholes and speed bumps. It makes the car sit about an inch higher but the ride is so much better. I decided not to delete my 4C, which I'm glad I did, but it was expensive to repair it all. I'm at 170000+ miles on mine also.

I did a write up on the job and how it fixed my front suspension crashing issue: https://alex31014.wixsite.com/kuladventures/home/2004-volvo-s60r-4c-front-suspension-crashing-fix

For the axle I just went with rock auto... Seemed fine to me. Hubs I think I got them from FCP or IPD. Be careful of IPDs HD sway bar and links, I got them from them and they went bad within a year... However, that being said, they sent me new ones for free to replace the bad ones.
Do you have any pictures after it settled? Very curious.

·
3,958 Posts
Thanks, appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts