SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally the 2000 Xc goes into the shop in December for a complete overhaul before heading out for a one Lap cross country trip of 9 to 11K miles. with 305K in the clock I decided not to put the money into it and still possible have a problem. So major maintenance has been put off till now for summer daily driving on a lot of dirt roads.

I did have a clunking sound and noticed the uneven tire ware as well as a groaning sound . I thought it was the winter tires and tie rods. I had the car diagnosed at the tire shop and they said it was the left outer tie rod. So I went ahead and replaced both inner and outer tie rods and the summer tire put on.

Clunking sound is gone but the groaning at speed is still there. I gets louder when making turns at freeway speeds. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
My guess is front hubs are going, I only get around 100K out of a set. Might also want to check the ball joint in the lower control arm for Z axis movement.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH you have made my WEEKEND

I'm just trilled its not angel gear related :) . Should get it back from the shop on Monday. OF course the 98T5 needs to have the brakes done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts