SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this problem, every time I go to pull out of the driveway or making a U turn I get this popping sound an then a spring/sprung sound, pretty loud. The car literally lifts up an inch an then drops while makings the sound. It almost feels as though the spring itself is moving and coming unseeded as I turn. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I had this problem when it was very cold out and/or icy. Seems to have gone away with my new tires but I didn't have a feeling that the car was lifting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
What tires on your car? What condition are they in?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had this same issue for the entire time I have owned my R (~5yrs). Mine tends to only do it when going in reverse and making a lock to lock turn (like when doing a 3-pt turn). I've had three different kinds of tires on the car and it did it with all of them. As EricTheRed stated - it does tend to do it more (or at least be more noticeable) when it is slippery.

FWIW, over the course of owning the car I have installed new spring seats, shocks, ball joints, control arm joints, tie rod ends (inner and outer). I have also installed the subframe inserts from Ipd. I gave up trying to find the cause as it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I will be keeping an eye on this thread though!

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have ps3s that are low but I've had this issue with my blizzaks too. This is definitely suspension related, although it has gotten worse since I put in spacers to eliminate the rubbing.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Assuming its not a tire rub issue, sounds like a bad CV joint binding at full turn. Inspect the boots to make sure you don't have a busted one since that's usually what leads to them self destructing.

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming its not a tire rub issue, sounds like a bad CV joint binding at full turn. Inspect the boots to make sure you don't have a busted one since that's usually what leads to them self destructing.
Will do, I saw a couple of threads an that seems to be the most probable cause. Would both sides make noise even if one side is failing?

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do P2 cars have the same issue with the spring seat that P80 cars had?
I believe so, for the record my whole front end is practically brand new.

Everything has 10k
Oem Xc90 spring seats
Oem strut mounts
Rein bump stops + new boots
Monroe struts
Meyle hd control arms
Meyle hd tie rods (new again, 15 miles on them)

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If the spring seat bearing is binding it may cause some strange binding and popping, but it wouldn't be lifting the front of the car as it binds and pops loose.

The fact that the front of the car is being lifted is what makes me suspect CV joints binding since they can lift the front end of the car when they bind while turning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I will say that on mine, it feels kinda similar to wheel hop in my old 2wd ford f250. I couldn't say if the front of my R is lifting up or not, but there is definitely feedback in the steering wheel that correlates directly with the popping sound.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have the exact same issue. at full lock turning left or right same thing. 85,XXX miles. I have Eibach lowering springs, the outer tie rods have been replaced once. Axle ping bolts were updated when I got the car. control arm bushings look good, the sway bar look good too. the axle boots on both sides are not cracked or open. I've got meyle hd end links waiting to be put on, the stock ones aren't worn or feel loose but i thought i might change em out at this mileage and its super easy to do. i have not checked the ball joint yet. no noises when going over bumps, drives smooth as ever. the upper mounts also look good. i did not check the strut or spring to see if anything was odd. i used to run 10mm front spacers on my 18in pegs, when i got new wheels i had to go to 5mm front so i am using those for the 17in winter wheels and WS-80 winter tires and there are some rub marks. not sure if that has anything to do with it. but as long as i dont go full lock left or right i dont hear anything odd. not sure what is up.

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzKadsSca8A

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Funny, I think I just had this happen to me for the first time in 6 years yesterday, as well. It happened two times while I was out picking up lunch negotiating parking lots.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My car lifts up at full lock, isn't this normal because of the steering stops?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well now I'm really curious...do you have one single pop (like in the video) or a rapid succession of pops as you return from the steering stop?

Mine does both! I pretty much always get a single pop when returning from the steering stops. But I sometimes get several pops - mostly when the pavement is slipery. The single pop is fairly quiet and almost seems like the rack bolts are loose - which they aren't. Also, I can't feel this pop in the steering wheel. The rapid pops are quite loud and feel like the entire front suspension is moving about - I have checked, double checked, triple checked, had a friend at a shop look at it, etc. and nothing appears to be out of place. Can definitely feel this one in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have always had the same thing and was told it was endlinks at one point. I have endlinks, just haven't replaced them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a loose endlink when I installed my sway bars but that only made noise when going over bumps. I don't get any sort of steering pop(s) if I'm rolling more than say 3mph.

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I will take a good go pro video, the sound on that will be better the from my phone.

I priced out both front axels, new. It's 980 with my dropping them in which isn't to bad, an thats worst case. I may do wheel bearings an rotors all in one shot though.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I haven't had this issue yet this year but I also have new tires, endlinks links and outer tie rods

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
9 out of 10 times this is a loose or worn sway bar endlink. If it keeps clicking as you move then it's probably the outer cv. One click indicates an endlink though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts