SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should know (remember) the answer to this question, but I have my thoughts diected in a different direction these days. Any help would be appreciated.
When making a semi-tight right hand turn as in turning to the right to pull into a parking slot, i am experiencing a groaning?, crunching? noise from the left front.
Left front hub/wheel bearing?
Left front axle?
Left front spring seat?

Looking for some help and expertise.

·
Administrator
55,894 Posts
Could be as simple as your steering bump stops need grease or you have a CV joint starting to fail. Look under and see if an axle boot is torn and if there is evidence of grease getting tossed about.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Miles, year and model are always helpful, but my money is on the CV joint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue have replaced my cv joint and sway bar drop links still doing it so looking at my track rod ens and bottom arm bushes this afternoon will post the results

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I have the same issue have replaced my cv joint and sway bar drop links still doing it so looking at my track rod ens and bottom arm bushes this afternoon will post the results
Do you know how to check your spring seat? It's super easy, can be done in 10 seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No i dont can u tell me please ive only had the car 3 months and last owner didnt do anything to it the cv joint was shot so i though it was that the sway bar drop links were also looking a bit dodgy so did them also i cant drive the car properly due to the noise on right hand corners it sounds like metal on metal rattling then on straights it sounds like i have a trailer bouncing behind the car but its all coming from the front

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
No i dont can u tell me please ive only had the car 3 months and last owner didnt do anything to it the cv joint was shot so i though it was that the sway bar drop links were also looking a bit dodgy so did them also i cant drive the car properly due to the noise on right hand corners it sounds like metal on metal rattling then on straights it sounds like i have a trailer bouncing behind the car but its all coming from the front
Ok. Pop the hood and look at where your front struts are. You'll see three small bolts/nuts, surrounding one big nut. Take an adjustable wrench and put it on the big nut. Try and turn that nut clockwise (like you're tightening it). If it spins, your spring seat is blown (or your spring is misaligned, but 9/10 times, the spring seat is blown). If it turns a little bit and then bounces right back, your spring seat is fine.

Do that to both sides and report back, soldier.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without a reference as to what the amount of "play" in the spring-seat test should feel like, and knowing that the spring-seats had not been replaced under my watch, I stocked up with parts and tore things apart. The spring-seats appeared to be ok as did the bearing in the strut plate...maybe a little binding with the part out of the car. Replaced spring-seats and strut plates as I had everything apart anyway, and I will have to say, the noise seems to be gone. Hope that you solve your mystery as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts