SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low frequency drone coming from what I assume is the right front of the car; it does increase with speed increase, but DOES NOT match the rotation of the tires, it seems to be slower. Both front tires are new and balanced with little weight, and the noise does not dissipate with the application of brake. I have given it steering input in both directions at low speed and in varying degrees of turn without a noticeable increase in severity.

I don't know if this is a wheel bearing, half shaft or transmission issue.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: Front end noise (mmcrrc)

Read the R forum those guys know all about wheel bearings.

It's an 07, presumably it is still under warranty, take it in.

Failing wheel bearings are speed dependent and should get worse with time.

When CV joints go (halfshafts), they usually click. You probably are too low miles for this to be an issue & these vehicles are not known for premature cv problems.

When did the noise start? How many miles on the car? The PS steering pump is also up there, have you checked your fluid level latelty?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

I'm not sure I follow the comment about not matching tire speed. Does the noise modulate with engine speed or vehicle speed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I did post it on V70R as well.

It has been going on for a few months, I just haven't had the time to get to it with the cold and work.

The car has 30,000 and gets about 95 miles a day 5 days a week on relatively smooth roads.

As far as the noise not matching the tire speed it is fairly constant in frequency until I can not hear it due to the increase in road noise. Not like having a rock in your tire and the clicking increases exponentially the sound is fairly consistently.

I like to have an idea about what is wrong before the dealer gets a crack at it, to reduce the amount of time they have it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Update

So I wasted three hours of my life at the stealership today.

The service manager went to the dentist and I was not informed anything about the car until I went looking (3 hrs later).

They say it was the brake pad retainers and installed a brake pad kit; even though I told them the noise did not change when applying the brakes.

They test drove the car 5 miles with the radio on and reported it was fixed.

I get it back with the window down, half assed machine carwash, radar detector turned off, remote display fat fingered up against the console, cup holder used, seat out of position, key all scratched up and to top it all off, NOT FIXED!
Oh Yeah my two front wheels OVERTORQUED; I gave up trying to figure out the torque at 150 ft lbs.

I guess I will have to drive to another dealer and let them have a shot at it; anyone know how many tome Volvo will authorize attempted repairs for a single issue?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

That sucks. Not only that they couldn't fix it, but that they showed so little respect for you and your car. Definitely time for a new dealership.

Under warranty, you should be good until it's repaired. It's not your fault this dealership was so bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

*UPDATE*

I called an talked to the Service Manager, asked if I could make an appointment to show him the noise I heard. He agreed no problem and I drove him around the car lot to let him hear it, although faintly he did hear it.

They put the thing up in the air and found a bolt that holds the bearing cap for the right axle was missing and drilled the remainder out of the mount and replaced it. The noise didn't go away, they ran the car in drive up on the rack and took a stethoscope to it, the same bearing that was partially supported was the culprit. The axle had to be ordered, it came in and was replaced in 15 minutes. No more noise, the car is smooth and quiet again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.