SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this forum and Volvo in general. Purchased a used 03 XC90 T6 about two months ago with 140,000 miles on the odometer. Everything was fine until about a week ago when I started to hear a intermittent knock while driving. The knock sounded like it is coming from the right front of the car. I first took it to a repair shop and they noticed oil leaking from the front of the transaxle and said to take it to a transmission shop to get it looked at further. I took it to an indie transmission repair shop and they stated that the front transaxle is shot and will need to be replaced. They quoted me 2500 dollars for a rebuilt unit and if I pay an extra 500 dollars they will go through the transmission and refresh it since they will have it out of the car as well. My question is should I go with a rebuilt unit or a new transaxle from Volvo. The car in general seems in very good shape and I only paid 2300 dollars for the car. I am also wondering if I should even keep the car after reading the many issues with 03 T6 transmissions. The transmission shop did state they found no issues with the transmission. Opinions needed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
T6 transmissions are notoriously bad. Search the forum for a bit of information.. But.. From what I've read Triple Edge Performance*out of Indiana.. That's the place to have trans rebuilt so it doesn't fail in 50k miles. There is a post on here from a guy that did his own T6 transmission from triple edge.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
One thing to consider with the XC90 T6's with the GM transmission. If you have it repaired at Volvo with a Volvo part, it will have a lifetime warranty, based on their new parts plan. So, if you plan to keep this a long time, it might be worth getting some estimates from a Volvo dealer.

If you can get a similar warranty with aftermarket, then go with the best price. I also recall there was an company, maybe it was Triple Edge, that did rebuilds ad they could improve the internals.

An engineer from Sweden once told me that they had issues with the manufacturing quality from the transmission supplier but they were stuck with this 4spd setup. Its a shame, the T6 motor was a pretty cool setup hampered with the 4spd trans. Too bad they never got the 5spd or 6spd Geartronic to work with it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Could a custom shop program the 6spd tranny or a tranny from a different car to work with the T6? I wouldn't trade in my V8, but it would be a fun project car! I liked the pickup of the T6, but I knew the tranny problems were insane. It is a fantastic engine, hindered by a poorly built tranny.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
One of my friends posted a link on Facebook last year about a company making adapter plates to bolt different trannies to different volvo engines. I guess it would depend on which ones they made and how that would interface with the awd. I just want to convert my 2.5 to stick

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Could a custom shop program the 6spd tranny or a tranny from a different car to work with the T6? I wouldn't trade in my V8, but it would be a fun project car! I liked the pickup of the T6, but I knew the tranny problems were insane. It is a fantastic engine, hindered by a poorly built tranny.
If my tranny goes, I want to swap a M66 from a S/V70R on to the V8. :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
That would be brutally fantastic! Drove a manual V70R, that thing flew! Couldn't imagine what it would be like on a V8

1 - 7 of 7 Posts