SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed a hum on my 1996 850 Turbo wagon.(67,000 kms) It seems to be coming from the left front, and the pitch changes according to the speed I'm travelling. I thought it was my summer tires/wheels so I changed over to my winter set. The noise is still there. It's not really loud, but I notice any little odd noise. The car is an automatic, I've taken it out of gear while it's making the noise, but it doesn't change. Does anyone have any ideas what it may be?<BR>My other question is regarding a block heater. I brought the car from Eastern Canada to Western Canada, where the winters are much colder. Volvo quoted me $85 for the part and $125 to install. Is it a big job? Is the part specific to the car, or are they pretty generic?<BR>Thanks evertone.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Probably your hub/wheel bearing, the noise may change pitch in a curve or corner. As for th block heater, a hoist would be good but it is not hard and the part is specific to the block, it is an external mount on the rear of the block, you do not have to make a mess with coolant. My one tip to you is make sure the surfaces of the block that the heater sits against are clean as well as the threads in the bolt hole since you car has milage on it. The instructions are in the kit,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I thought of the bearing, ( I had a Saab 900 that had a bearing go) but it doesn't change pitch or grind on corners. I'll keep an eye on it.<BR>The block heater sounds pretty straight forward. I'll give it a shot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts