SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone need advice on my front end. i have 135000 on my 2005 t5 awd s40 and was wondering what i should change. i have change the shocks and struts about a year ago but now the steering wheel feels loose and i hear clunking noise. any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
same here....! 90,000 miles 2007 v50.
changed front lower control arms few moths ago (struts were fine) but now steering wheel feels loose, specially when i change lanes on rough pavement road, sometimes make the car tough to control. And at lower speeds a lot clunking noises, specially when turning.
maybe bushings needs to be replaced. I didn't have chance to take the car to a repair shop.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Check more or less in this order:

Control arms - loose steering, clunking especially under braking, brake pulsation.
Sway bar links - clunking over small bumps, a dry socket with no play will give a groan when turning (IPDs are known for this).
Tie rod ends (check both inner & outer) - loose steering
Alignment - tire wear, wandering steering
Wheel bearings - loud humming that increases in volume when taking a "sweeper" turn one direction & decreases in volume when going the opposite direction.
Strut bearings - crunching, clicking while turning
Upper motor mount - clunking over big bumps, especially turning right aggressively
Lower motor mount - clunking under heavy acceleration
CV joints - tell tail clicking at wheel speed while turning sharply. Worn inners (rare unless boot is torn) can click under acceleration.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ditto, have a clunking/flopping noise only at low speeds (parking lots). Hoping its just a strut, the one on the right has lost it's oil/lube and has slung liguid of some sort all over the fenderwell. Boot for strut was cracked and unseated from the tube. Noise is not promanent when turning left (pressure on the right side) and now getting creaking with the clunking. Theory is the strut is

Have the IPD arms up front and right link has wiggled loose before but checked both sides and all are tight. Can't get the right side to make the noise to do it while on the jack even with a pry bar lifting the wheel to jiggle.

KYB front struts and rear shocks arrived today and will attempt to install within a week and will provide some feedback if it cures the aile. 84,000 mi, replacing all of them since I'm up in there anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts