SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, 2005 xc90 awd. There is a clicking from the front end when slowing. Speed sensitive, the faster I'm going the faster the rate of clicking and it slows as speed gets lower. Not related to engine rpm in any way. It sounds higher pitched than a CV joint. Can be heard without brakes applied but is more pronounced with brakes applied. Didn't change with turning but will occasionally go away with bumps for a short time.

Advice? Nearest dealer is quite a drive so that is only a last resort option. No reputable service shops that specialize with Volvo near by so I'm on my own.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Wheel bearings?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I would think it's the cv, but could be the wheel bearing I guess. When bearings were bad they made sounds, like a quick thumbing that just got worse with speed in slight turns, and went quiet when going straight. Both mine were bad. I assume that if only one was bad the sound would be quiet while turning opposite of the one that's bad. Cvs mainly clicked when turning at low speed, pretty sharp, like during parking. I assume your cv boots aren't torn or anything visible? For something like this any decent mechanic should be able to diagnose and fix it. Volvo axles and bearings really aren't anything special or different. More likely than not they share very similar designs and maybe even parts with Ford and Mazda.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts