SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some trouble with the switches in my front console. These are the switches just below the climate control module. When I got the car, only the far left button was lit. I thought, no big deal, some burnt out bulbs, I'll replace for a few bucks and be in business. Not so fast.

I've replaced the bulbs, with battery disconnected, and got a few of the switches to light, but now the lit switch will not light. And, the lights are affected by the ambient light switch, and the dimmer, but in an inverse relationship (i.e., the switch lights get brighter when the other lights get dimmer) Strange behavior, so I thought maybe I missed a battery procedure. After some quick google work, I found there is a disconnect procedure: Position I when disconnecting, then Position II when reconnecting, with a 5 minute interval between disconnect and reconnect.

After work, tried the disconnect procedure, double checked placement of the bulbs, waited 7 minutes (to be double sure) and reconnected. Now, the original switch lights, and I still have the inverse relationship with the dimmer to the rest of the lights. 2 of the switches have never lit.

A few possibilities have crossed my mind:

1. Bad fuse. Seemed more likely when I had no light in some of the switches, but there's no fuse which is obviously related to the PCB which controls these switches. The fact that some of them light now, makes a bad fuse seem improbable.
2. Bad connection on some/all connections relating to climate control (source for switch PCB) and individual switches. Some electrical contact cleaner will be applied this weekend to see what this does, if anything. Other possibility is a loose wire within a connector, but this seems unlikely, as button functions are still working, just not the lights.
3. Switches in the wrong order. I doubt this is the case, as the individual switches have their function dictated by diodes, and have few pieces which would inhibit the flow of power, and the switches are not likely to be wired in a series such that one failed switch would mean the following switches also would not work.

I'm pretty stumped, and I'm really not sure what the problem even is to begin with. The switches all function (they turn on/off their features), the internal LEDs light to signal their function appropriately (though this also seems to be affected by the ambient light), but it is driving me crazy that the lights within the switches don't work.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Solutions? Suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Despite a complete removal and inspection and minor cleaning of the PCB, I still have the strange behavior. Swapping in functioning incandescent bulbs does not help. Using the proper battery disconnect/reconnect procedure does not help. Changing the order of the buttons does not help. Connecting the lights in reverse polarity to where they are not functioning does not help.

I'm completely lost at this point. I think the only option left might be to swap the whole climate control unit, since these switches are connected to that board. Last call for help!! Please?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts