SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Apparently you've never visited the UK. They've got Cameras everywhere including but not limited to license plate reader cameras and speed cameras.

Love or hate, that's the world in 2021. No matter where you go these days, people are filming with their smart phones. You've got store security cameras recording you. There's facial recognition software. Privacy is dead, so don't sell yourself on a false illusion. You can pretty much google anyone to find out about them, look up their "happenings on social media", etc.
I think you missed my point. You're correct, I haven't visited the UK and don't care to for a list of reasons. I have visited 14 other European countries though, including one that doesn't allow dash cams apparently. Yet has high tech, government controlled cameras everywhere .

That's my point. When a government prohibits you from recording in a public place (on the roads, for example), yet the government has cameras everywhere in those public places, then it's suspiciously similar to a police state.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I think you missed my point. You're correct, I haven't visited the UK and don't care to for a list of reasons. I have visited 14 other European countries though, including one that doesn't allow dash cams apparently. Yet has high tech, government controlled cameras everywhere .

That's my point. When a government prohibits you from recording in a public place (on the roads, for example), yet the government has cameras everywhere in those public places, then it's suspiciously similar to a police state.

Agreed. I think it's stupid the government can film you and you can't film others. However, I do see some "rationale" behind the laws. Stalking, harassing, voyeurism, bullying, etc.

In the same sense the States in the United States set recording laws where they are either one party or two party states. In one party states, you can record a conversation and the other party so long as you're an active participant in the call. In two party states, it's illegal to record another person without their consent. Even if you're an active participant in the call.

Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Agreed. I think it's stupid the government can film you and you can't film others. However, I do see some "rationale" behind the laws. Stalking, harassing, voyeurism, bullying, etc.

In the same sense the States in the United States set recording laws where they are either one party or two party states. In one party states, you can record a conversation and the other party so long as you're an active participant in the call. In two party states, it's illegal to record another person without their consent. Even if you're an active participant in the call.
Yeah, I'd find it difficult for a government to articulate any form of stalking, harassing, voyeurism, etc with a mounted dash cam. You're a shining example of how much protection it affords you and those around you. If a government said too bad, you're getting fined it you protect yourself...then I'd have a huge problem.

Thankfully I'm in a one party state hahahaha

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Yeah, I'd find it difficult for a government to articulate any form of stalking, harassing, voyeurism, etc with a mounted dash cam. You're a shining example of how much protection it affords you and those around you. If a government said too bad, you're getting fined it you protect yourself...then I'd have a huge problem.

Thankfully I'm in a one party state hahahaha

I agree. I place significant value on having a Dash Camera and it's paid off on several occasions.

I'm not sure the laws on recording with a cell phone, so it could be similar to those of a Dash Camera? Either way, Dash Cameras can be used to record Road Rage or Stalk a person (following them etc). But the likelihood of the Dash Cam being a malicious tool is far less than one's cell phone.

So I guess it boils down to how these governments treat cell phone recordings. I.E. Can I mount my cell phone on the window and record? Can I record people in public? I guess the answers here would shed light if these policies go for both a Dash Cam and Cell Phone or simply Dash Cams.

Laws in US are pretty similar. Ya one party states are ideal. But in a two party state, you could be arrested for eavesdropping and recording without the other party's consent. And such evidence wouldn't probably be admissible is my guess.

Reactions: Ultrarunner511
41 - 44 of 44 Posts