SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
the "coolest" (also a bit scary) thing that happened to me was when my Volvo actually steered to the right by its own because of a crazy car overtaking me when a 2 lane road was merging into one lane only.. it was amazing :D
I agree, something similar happened to me, scary but cool that the car quickly and swiftly corrects for you. In my case I wanted to change lanes despite another car changing just behind me at the same time, he was going faster than me and he was also going to move two lanes...I knew that, he knew that but my car didn't, so it moved me back to my lane!

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi all,
if the front camera records in certain situations.. accidents or almost.. does any know if we can ask Volvo for the images in case needed.. like going to court in case of an accident dispute..
Thanks
From a quick glance, it looks like this is for Volvo's own use. I'm guessing that in order for you to acquire the 4 seconds of data you would need to jump through all kinds of hoops which would likely take a lot of time. And since the recording is not yours it could also be used against you. In the fine print it states: "By enabling this function, you consent to Volvo Cars collecting and processing the following data for future development purposes and active safety-related complaints." The function only records "non-trivial collision situations" but of course must always be active in order to work.

Since the car has this capability - hopefully Volvo will release a software update so that owners could choose to use the camera(s) to continuously record onto their own SD card in the car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks, like it's came after app update (it were a couple recently). I have it for my XC40, and opted not to enable both of the settings, Safety Data and Vehicle Data. As previously stated it can be used against you (let's say, you are doing 15km/h more than allowed and so on). I have a dashcam, that's will be enough.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Frankly, I'm surprised at any interest in this at all. Within a week after obtaining my V90, I changed the City Safety setting to Late because I was so annoyed with how often it issued a ding and applied my brakes just because some car in front of me was slowing to turn, even though I knew it was going to be gone by the time I got to that place, or knew I was perfectly capable of responding if not. Seemed like nothing but a built-in feature to require premature brake pad replacement.

Now they want to record front camera images. REALLY?!? I don't need a car manufacturer collecting information about me, thank you very much. If no one here has access to the video, why agree to have it collected by a foreign enterprise?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Frankly, I'm surprised at any interest in this at all. Within a week after obtaining my V90, I changed the City Safety setting to Late because I was so annoyed with how often it issued a ding and applied my brakes just because some car in front of me was slowing to turn, even though I knew it was going to be gone by the time I got to that place, or knew I was perfectly capable of responding if not. Seemed like nothing but a built-in feature to require premature brake pad replacement.

Now they want to record front camera images. REALLY?!? I don't need a car manufacturer collecting information about me, thank you very much. If no one here has access to the video, why agree to have it collected by a foreign enterprise?
Your car has black box build in anyway video or no video if you had big accident and its your fault or not they will be able to get this from car black box. Back in day black boxes were and optional thing now its the law.( at list in US) . Even my 2001-2003 Oldsmobile aurora has that black box. Tons of fords as well from back in day. Most people think that only airplanes had black boxes back in a day.

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
From a quick glance, it looks like this is for Volvo's own use. I'm guessing that in order for you to acquire the 4 seconds of data you would need to jump through all kinds of hoops which would likely take a lot of time. And since the recording is not yours it could also be used against you. In the fine print it states: "By enabling this function, you consent to Volvo Cars collecting and processing the following data for future development purposes and active safety-related complaints." The function only records "non-trivial collision situations" but of course must always be active in order to work.

Since the car has this capability - hopefully Volvo will release a software update so that owners could choose to use the camera(s) to continuously record onto their own SD card in the car.
Which goes back to my original statement. Get a Dash Camera. Use the video if beneficial to yourself. No requirement to share if it's damning. "Camera Didn't Work'. Memory Card Erred after accident. Or no need to mention camera.

Whereas, if you give Volvo permission to store and save the video, there's no plausible denial. I am sure if someone's attorney gets wind Volvo records X seconds, it's not all that hard to subpoena the video.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just a comment (EU only): dash cams are forbidden in most (if not all) European countries because violates privacy laws (the same applies to home "security" cams.. you cannot have a cam at home if it gets images from your neighbours or public street) - so, dash cams here are illegal, you can get fined for having one.

As for the 4 seconds of the car camera.. my guess is that there's something in the law about that.. I would say that Volvo would not do that if it were illegal.

·
Registered
837 Posts
In the UK, it’s legal to film public roads and footage can be also shared.

But, owners of dash cams need to be aware that the captured footage can also be used against them. For example, if a police officer pulls over a vehicle for a suspected motoring offence, such as speeding, they can ask the driver to hand over his or her dash cam footage for review.

In mainland Europe, rules around dash cam use vary, and it’s important to learn the local regulations before you travel in each country.

Some European countries, including Spain, Italy, Malta and the Netherlands, allow dash cams to be used without restrictions.

But in others, such as France and Belgium, dash cams are restricted to “private use” only. In France, recorded evidence must only be sent directly to the police. In addition, pinpointing the location of the speed camera isn’t allowed so with the right database “Danger Zones” can be highlighted instead.

In Germany it is legal to use them, and even courts allow footage as evidence, following a Federal Court case in 2016. It is however illegal to upload dash cam footage to social media unless faces and car number plates have been obscured.

Then in a few countries, such as Austria and Portugal, dash cam use is completely banned. Repeat offenders in Austria face eye-watering five-figure fines.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
In the UK, it’s legal to film public roads and footage can be also shared.

But, owners of dash cams need to be aware that the captured footage can also be used against them. For example, if a police officer pulls over a vehicle for a suspected motoring offence, such as speeding, they can ask the driver to hand over his or her dash cam footage for review.

In mainland Europe, rules around dash cam use vary, and it’s important to learn the local regulations before you travel in each country.

Some European countries, including Spain, Italy, Malta and the Netherlands, allow dash cams to be used without restrictions.

But in others, such as France and Belgium, dash cams are restricted to “private use” only. In France, recorded evidence must only be sent directly to the police. In addition, pinpointing the location of the speed camera isn’t allowed so with the right database “Danger Zones” can be highlighted instead.

In Germany it is legal to use them, and even courts allow footage as evidence, following a Federal Court case in 2016. It is however illegal to upload dash cam footage to social media unless faces and car number plates have been obscured.

Then in a few countries, such as Austria and Portugal, dash cam use is completely banned. Repeat offenders in Austria face eye-watering five-figure fines.
Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why it's illegal in some countries. Austria's border check point had some extremely high quality cameras filming motorists coming in. Government has more freedom than civilians...? How does it work if you're using your phone as a video camera? Either a passenger filming or a hands free device holding the phone and just simply hitting "record?"

And does that mean Tesla's aren't allowed in Portugal or Austria?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your car has black box build in anyway video or no video if you had big accident and its your fault or not they will be able to get this from car black box...
Well, but as Volvo says, 'by enabling this function, you consent to Volvo Cars collecting [certain data]'.

Why on earth would anyone consent? You're not activating a collision avoidance feature, or ensuring that you obtain any video.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well, but as Volvo says, 'by enabling this function, you consent to Volvo Cars collecting [certain data]'.

Why on earth would anyone consent? You're not activating a collision avoidance feature, or ensuring that you obtain any video.
for them to improve things like auto pilot etc . They already collect tons of things with you using VOC app.

Reactions: pocholin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And does that mean Tesla's aren't allowed in Portugal or Austria?
Teslas are of course allowed.. but most likely the "sentinelle" recording system is not.. just guessing.. I don't know for sure.
I'm actually Portuguese :) but I don't live there :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which goes back to my original statement. Get a Dash Camera. Use the video if beneficial to yourself. No requirement to share if it's damning. "Camera Didn't Work'. Memory Card Erred after accident. Or no need to mention camera.
Classic "you can't have your cake and eat it".

·
Registered
7,725 Posts

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
This still doesn't answer my questions above though.

I don't know their laws, but if I were to guess, recording with your phone to "record driving" would be illegal if used with the intention of capturing people and other drivers intentionally. Since Dash Cam recording is not permitted.

If you're a tourist recording the country side and "unintentionally" capture a wreck or bad act, that might be a different story.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I don't know their laws, but if I were to guess, recording with your phone to "record driving" would be illegal if used with the intention of capturing people and other drivers intentionally. Since Dash Cam recording is not permitted.

If you're a tourist recording the country side and "unintentionally" capture a wreck or bad act, that might be a different story.
Definitely sounds like a police state lol.

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
Definitely sounds like a police state lol.

Apparently you've never visited the UK. They've got Cameras everywhere including but not limited to license plate reader cameras and speed cameras.

Love or hate, that's the world in 2021. No matter where you go these days, people are filming with their smart phones. You've got store security cameras recording you. There's facial recognition software. Privacy is dead, so don't sell yourself on a false illusion. You can pretty much google anyone to find out about them, look up their "happenings on social media", etc.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts