SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
if the front camera records in certain situations.. accidents or almost.. does any know if we can ask Volvo for the images in case needed.. like going to court in case of an accident dispute..
Thanks

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Hi all,
if the front camera records in certain situations.. accidents or almost.. does any know if we can ask Volvo for the images in case needed.. like going to court in case of an accident dispute..
Thanks
Where do you see that Volvo has recording capabilities? While Tesla has onboard cams that can be used for recording incidences, I am not sure this is true for Volvo.

Volvo makes a Dash Camera: https://assets.volvocars.com/my/~/media/row/malaysia/brochure/volvo-dvr.pdf?la=en-my

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Hmmm. European market only maybe? Where do you see this information? Googling I come up with nothing like what you're posting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's in the US market. It's in the On Call app under Profile. Then select Privacy Settings. I noticed it a few days ago also but am not sure if it's new.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
That's in the US market. It's in the On Call app under Profile. Then select Privacy Settings. I noticed it a few days ago also but am not sure if it's new.
Seems more like a gimmick. Better off installing a dashcam. 4 Seconds before impact may show something, but you aren't going to prove fault with a 4 second clip.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I dont see anything like that on my app on s90 or my 2017 s60

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont see anything like that on my app on s90 or my 2017 s60
It's on the VOC App.. > Profile > Privacy settings
My car is MY2019.. that might make a difference..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Looks like had to update the app and now s90 does show this option under privacy settings. Of course nothing show up on 2017 s60 since there is no front cam on p3.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My 2017 V90 CC has it, I didn't know it until this thread, thanks! I just activated it.

@ru1 , I think your question needs to be sent to Volvo. I don't see why they wouldn't share it...but they also don't say that they will in the activation page.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
And this is why I'm on the forum. This is a huge thing IMO, and I had no idea either. We don't get to demo use the app since most of our demo cars are ex loaners and haven't been activated yet.

Reactions: pocholin

·
Registered
66 Posts
I looked at my app. and did not see this setting. I then went into AppStore and it simply said Open (it did not say Update). I clicked on the app itself to open the details page and then it said "Update" and that the latest version of the app. was pushed out 13 hours prior so I updated the app. and it now shows this recording option in the privacy settings.

Strange, but clearly a very new setting (at least for N.A.).

·
Registered
837 Posts
I looked at my app. and did not see this setting. I then went into AppStore and it simply said Open (it did not say Update). I clicked on the app itself to open the details page and then it said "Update" and that the latest version of the app. was pushed out 13 hours prior so I updated the app. and it now shows this recording option in the privacy settings.

Strange, but clearly a very new setting (at least for N.A.).
ye i didnt get update option so i removed the app and than installed it and option showed up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"Forward-facing camera images are captured for 4 seconds before and after collision-like situations"

Personally, instead of starting to capture images 4 seconds prior to a collision-like situation, I'd really rather it would notify me of the impending doom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just updated and now I have these options as well.

I doubt they are going to mess with giving data and footage to people to use in resolving legal matters.

·
Registered
509 Posts
"Forward-facing camera images are captured for 4 seconds before and after collision-like situations"

Personally, instead of starting to capture images 4 seconds prior to a collision-like situation, I'd really rather it would notify me of the impending doom.
It does notify you. It starts by beeping and flashing a warning, then, if no correction is applied by driver, it tightens the seatbelts. This is as far as I've experienced in my vehicle without getting into an actual accident. So, I imagine it starts recording the second it gives me the warning...or it is recording all the time for a range of a few seconds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It starts by beeping and flashing a warning, then, if no correction is applied by driver, it tightens the seatbelts.
yep! I have experienced this a few times. It's a nice feature.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It does notify you. It starts by beeping and flashing a warning, then, if no correction is applied by driver, it tightens the seatbelts. This is as far as I've experienced in my vehicle without getting into an actual accident. So, I imagine it starts recording the second it gives me the warning...or it is recording all the time for a range of a few seconds.
Same here - I have had the beeping a few times, generally when car in front is turning and I am accelerating knowing that they will be out of the way in time. I have experience the belt tightening only one time when freeway traffic came to a sudden and abrupt stop. I went into distress lane, not because I didn't think that I would stop in time, but rather our safety features, as good as they are, have no ability to compel the vehicle behind me to stop timely. I am confident that I would likely have been rear ended.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the "coolest" (also a bit scary) thing that happened to me was when my Volvo actually steered to the right by its own because of a crazy car overtaking me when a 2 lane road was merging into one lane only.. it was amazing :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts