SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. I think I have to rebuild my front calipers due to some seized pistons. I was hoping that someone out that will have some fun tips for me before I start to rebuild these suckers.

I am getting the seals from ViVa and I don't think I will need any new pistons.

So People! Suggestions/Tips?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good luck! I will probably attempt this in the spring. Post some pictures while you do it, i don't think we have a DIY

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
You need to be careful not to damage or loose any of the seals and bolts from the Brembos. You won't be able to source new ones from anywhere, including Brembo, who refuse to sell these parts separately. They do not recommend rebuilding calipers.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/144411-s60r-rear-caliper-adventure-powdercoat-and-rebuild/

Oreo931 on Volvospeed said:
You can see there is a hole inside the each caliper half -- there is a seal that goes in this hole. Apparently, replacement seals for inside the caliper are literally impossible to get. Volvo doesn't sell them, Brembo refuses to sell them (they also refuse to give out torque values for the caliper bolts -- obviously for liability reasons). So basically, if you ever take your calipers apart, DO NOT LOSE THE INNER SEAL, otherwise you'll end up with an expensive set of paper weights

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
I'm actually in the process of refinishing my spare set. Do not break the caliper halves because Brembo will not divulge the torquing specs for the caliper bolts. If you do, don't lose the o-rings. Our R calipers use internal channels.

Two ways of removing the pistons, the air pressure and wood block way, or the two flat head screwdriver way (be careful not to damage or score the pistons or tear the dust boots, but if you do they can be replaced). There is a small indentation around the pistons where you can get leverage if you use the screwdriver method.

Also, after taking all the pistons off, make sure you sort them or organize them because they are not the same size in the caliper.

They look like this.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm actually in the process of refinishing my spare set. Do not break the caliper halves because Brembo will not divulge the torquing specs for the caliper bolts. If you do, don't lose the o-rings. Our R calipers use internal channels.

Two ways of removing the pistons, the air pressure and wood block way, or the two flat head screwdriver way (be careful not to damage or score the pistons or tear the dust boots, but if you do they can be replaced). There is a small indentation around the pistons where you can get leverage if you use the screwdriver method.

Also, after taking all the pistons off, make sure you sort them or organize them because they are not the same size in the caliper.
So... If the piston's are seized up in the caliper how could you use air pressure to get them out??

Now you all have me worried about taking these suckers apart...

I don't see why you couldn't use the torque specs for simular Brembo calipers and just make sure you don't lose the seals....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I am half tempted to have some of these o rings made just for us. What in gods name is wrong with rebuilding a caliper? What if you just want to powder coat a set that works fine then put new stuff in them since they were apart?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yeah they are on the Evos and CTS-v and other cars. My friend tracks his Evo8 and rebuilds his brembos every season. I'm sure you can find specs online that will be very close if not the same.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah they are on the Evos and CTS-v and other cars. My friend tracks his Evo8 and rebuilds his brembos every season. I'm sure you can find specs online that will be very close if not the same.
Thanks! That is what I wanted to hear!

·
Registered
157 Posts
anybody know the color code of the original color on the caliper?
have just bought soda blasting kit and powdercoat gun to refurbish my used caliper kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts