SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front bumper drooping a bit due to the standard parking stop incident. I haven't been able to track down the repair thread I remember reading in the past. Help anyone?<p>TIA<br>Marc

·
Registered
958 Posts
Re: Front bumper repair thread (therf)

I went to Lowes and got some auto body fastener clips, plastic screws, whatever. I carefully drilled a few holes through the bumper lip in to the plastic backing (be careful not to hit the intercooler!!) and put the screws in. Looked better, just not perfect.<br>Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Front bumper repair thread (surfsd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>surfsd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went to Lowes and got some auto body fastener clips, plastic screws, whatever. I carefully drilled a few holes through the bumper lip in to the plastic backing (be careful not to hit the intercooler!!) and put the screws in. Looked better, just not perfect.<br>Jim</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Thanks for the reply. I took a quick look underneath and was unable to figure out what existing fasteners might have come loose to cause the droop. Does anyone know if it is possible to reattach using the existing hardware/attachment points?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Re: Front bumper repair thread (therf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>therf</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the reply. I took a quick look underneath and was unable to figure out what existing fasteners might have come loose to cause the droop. Does anyone know if it is possible to reattach using the existing hardware/attachment points?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It isn't that the existing fasteners/attachment points disappeared, as there aren't any down there in the 1st place. Get some of the plastic screws made for auto bodies. The should be an inch to 1.5 inches long. Carefully drill through the lip of the sagging bumper and attach it to the car. DON"T HIT THE IC with your drill. I had to do this on my previous 04. Now I only back into spaces with those damn concrete tire stops as I don't want to dork out my 06.<br>Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Front bumper repair thread (surfsd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>surfsd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get some of the plastic screws made for auto bodies. The should be an inch to 1.5 inches long. Carefully drill through the lip of the sagging bumper and attach it to the car. DON"T HIT THE IC with your drill. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>I bought a bunch of the plastic autobody fasteners from the local supplier and none of them would hold (I had a big time droop). Not wanting to take the car off the jacks and spend an hour shopping for new ones, I looked through my parts drawer and found a package of plastic drywall anchor screws, i.e. the things you screw into drywall to anchor towel racks, pictures, etc. Voila! - no more droop! An inelegant solution, perhaps, but they're still holding firm several months later.<p>The more fastidious repair is to replace the entire bumper cover, which (I believe) will then have to be painted to color match the car and will end up costing $$$$. Rest assured, though, you'll never go nose first into a parking stall again.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: Front bumper repair thread (canuck-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>canuck-R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>The more fastidious repair is to replace the entire bumper cover, which (I believe) will then have to be painted to color match the car and will end up costing $$$$. Rest assured, though, you'll never go nose first into a parking stall again.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>They come pre-painted and run $5-600 dollars depending on where you order from.<p>You could try to heat gun the damaged one before securing it with fasteners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts