SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else on here have squeaking front brakes? The front brakes of my XC90 has been randomly squeaking when slowing down for a turn. With less then 1,500 miles on the car, my first thought was dust or dirt between the pads and rotors. I took the pressure washer to it but it didn't seem to help. I took it into my local Volvo dealer to get it checked out and they said that Volvo is making them write up a detailed report for every XC90 coming in for anything other than service and it must be reviewed by Volvo's tech helpline before the dealer is allowed to make any changes or repairs. I heard back from the dealer this morning and they said that Volvo instructed them to replace the front rotors and brake pads. Let's hope this was just a one off deal. The dealer loaned me a 2016 XC60, let's just say I can't wait to get my XC90 back. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
It happened only a few times when I pushed the brakes while driving downhill only. Never on the regular road.

·
Registered
26 Posts
happens on me, but not always.

more often likely afternoon when the I traffic on the highway or Downtown local, each time when i move a bit and slowly stop. the squeaking sounds loud enough to grab other drivers' attention. VERY VERY AWFUL!!!

The break squeaking will up all the time till i stop the engine, I dont know for how long, but next time I start the car, when i try to slowly slow down the car, the squeaking is gone.

Made a appointment with dealer next week, wish they can fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for the answer!

I have been a long time follower, but first time posting. I have 3200 miles on my 2016 Momentum, and it's been to the dealer twice for brake squealing. The first time it went, they replaced the front brake pads. That didn't work. I just picked it up today from being at the dealership for 4 days (also had the City System crash that's mentioned in a different post - http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ays-new-2016-all-new-xc90-starting-trouble-me!!!), during which they drove the car for at least 100 miles testing it and resetting things after they removed corrupted software and replaced it with new stuff. Told me there was no brake noise on any of the test drives. On my drive home, I made one stop. It was fine until I stopped! After the stop, the squealing returned. I'm very frustrated. Wondering if anyone found the right fix yet???

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Momentum with 5 k on it and have taken it into the dealer for the brake squeaking noise now.
Dealer told me to come back because the car is too new and they had to oder the tool to actually start working on the brakes. Not sure yet what the fix is??
Waiting on a call from them to return back and wait again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After the dealer replaced my front brakes we no longer hear squeaking coming from the front. However, the original front noise was masking the rear noise. Now we have the same squeaking coming from the rear. I dropped the car off at the dealer this past Monday, they ordered the parts to replace the rear brake pads and rotors but they had to get them shipped since no dealer in the area has the parts in stock. Hopefully they receive the parts today and I can get my XC90 back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My brakes were squealing as well, but only when a light amount of pressure was applied. My dealer checked the pads and rotors and all was well, the wear patterns on both were normal. My dealer offered to change the pads but thought that new pads may still squeal. They suggested that I put on a few more KM's to see if things will settle out. Lo and behold, around 6200 KM's the squeal went away and so far has not returned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just heard back from my Volvo dealer and they mentioned that a TSB is coming out to replace the current brakes and rotors with a new version to eliminate the squeaking noise. He said that Volvo should have the "new" version ready in 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Those with squealing brakes; how is your brake performance?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My car has 400 miles on it and the brakes began to squeal today.
Brake performance is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I neglected to mention that the squealing returned at about 7500 k and is still happening today with about 9000 k's on the odometer.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just heard back from my Volvo dealer and they mentioned that a TSB is coming out to replace the current brakes and rotors with a new version to eliminate the squeaking noise. He said that Volvo should have the "new" version ready in 4-6 weeks.
What does this mean for cars that haven't been built yet? Theoretically they get the new parts? Or do we need to keep this TSB in mind when we get our new cars.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Technical Service Bulletins are routine in manufacturing processes, particularly with automobiles, RVs, aircraft, boats, et al.

Typically, resolution is a matter of timing. If your car is already built or being built, then a TSB is handled through the service and warranty process and likely tracked by model/chassis. Some TSBs might be addressed at port.

You can track this TSB if you wish. Regardless, building a good rapport and effective relationship with your dealer, service manager and service consultants are key. Just ask the service manager to list and confirm all of applicable service bulletins that have been addressed.

P.S., In the aviation industry, technical service bulletins (TSB/SB) and airworthiness directives (AD) are routine and issued weekly if not daily for many aircraft, engines, propellers, and avionics including GPS and glass cockpits. Thankfully, it is baked into the manufacturing controls, quality and safety processes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was there any update to this regarding a TSB from Volvo? Our brakes are still squeaking and the dealership basically told us that there isn't anything they can do since they can replicate the problem 100% of the time - its only intermittent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1 I'm experiencing brake squeak from the front (?) and want to have the brakes inspected and, if necessary, serviced when it take it in for the upcoming Sensus/CarPlay update. Has Volvo given you a specific TSB number that we can reference?

Was there any update to this regarding a TSB from Volvo? Our brakes are still squeaking and the dealership basically told us that there isn't anything they can do since they can replicate the problem 100% of the time - its only intermittent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The squeaking returned for me. I called my service advisor and they are going to order the new version of brakes and rotors for me. I'll see if I can get the TSB number for you guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My brakes have been replaced 3 times now and unfortunately, the squeaking is back. The last time I had the issue the dealer replaced the discs and rotors with a "new version" that was supposed to solve the issue. I called my service adviser a couple days ago and he mentioned that a third version of the discs and rotors were being released and that he would speak with his shop foreman to figure out how to proceed. I love the car but this brake issue is really starting to get annoying and embarrassing. Anyone else having this issue? Should I start looking into lemon law? The car has less than 10,000 miles and has already had three brake jobs. :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts