SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I suddenly got a bad grinding noise from the front passenger side while braking with any kind of moderate force. Took the wheel off and saw that the inner front left brake pad was pretty much at zero, while the outer one had about 3-4mm of material on it. When I bought the car (35k miles ago) the dealer had clearly pad slapped the front, but kept the stock rotors. So obviously I need new front brakes.

My big issue here is that back in April (5k miles ago) I had the car at the Volvo dealer for an airbag module replacement. They did a full inspection, and said the front brakes were good, 8mm of pad life. Because of this I wasn't going to give the front brakes a second thought until next spring. Do you think its worth going up to the dealer tomorrow with that inspection report in hand and see if they'll do anything for me?

Obviously something caused that uneven pad wear, I'm hoping it was just an uneven rotor, the caliper seems to be operating fine.

Otherwise my indy mechanic said he'd do front brakes for $350 parts/labor. I see on FCP the genuine Volvo brakes are almost $300 just for parts. While the Zimmerman or Meyle parts are about half that cost. I can do this job myself, but not until next weekend. Anyone have experience with the aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The inspection the dealer did was probably just peeking through the wheel at the outer pads. So they didn't check the inner pads. You can try to ask them for something but I doubt you'll get anything more that maybe a discount on doing the work. It won't be near the price the indy is quoting. But cheapest isn't usually the best choice when it comes to brakes.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I just put Zimmerman rotors and akebono pads on my RD last weekend and so far they’ve been really good. Obviously too soon to say how long they’ll last but stopping power seems as good as the oem ones I took off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that brakes aren't where you want to get cheap, why I was leery of just going up to AutoZone yesterday to grab what they had. But on the other hand I don't want to pay hundreds more for genuine Volvo parts when something like Zimmerman of Meyle parts are just as good as OEM. The indy guy said he gets brakes from a local euro-parts wholesaler that the Volvo dealer also uses when they are in a pinch. I'm tempted to let him do the job, I just don't have the time over the next week or so to do it myself.

I get that the dealer probably just looked at the outer pads, especially since the wheels didn't have to come off for the job I had them do.....but still, I'd like to think I can take them at their word when they tell me my brakes are good, kind of an important part of the car. But yeah, I don't expect that they would do a whole heck of a lot for me as far as price on new brakes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up going with Akebono brake pads and Carquest platnium painted rotors, along with some brand new slide-pins. About 100 miles on the set-up and so far so good. Did the job myself, was super easy, less than two hours from start to finish. The inner pad on the passenger side was completely gone while the inner pad on the driver side had less than 1mm. Outer pads still had maybe 3 to 4mm left. I'll check and see how the inner pads are wearing when I throw my winter tires on in a couple months, but hoping the slide pins were just getting hung up, they were in rough shape after 75k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts