SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question: do we have wear sensors/indication on the front pads, or only the rears?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no wear sensors or indicators on front or rear brakes.
Thanks. So it's just the pad wear groove from the side? and can I get a visual without taking off the wheels, maybe with a mirror?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
You can usually see the outer pad through the wheels. I use a small inspection mirror to check inners. If they look close, I pull the wheel and measure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This all started when my wife just complained about grinding brake noise 2 days ago. I drove the car and heard it on the front right side, with or without braking, rolling in neutral or in drive. I know the pads should be good, as she drives only 5kmi/year total and a very defensive and smooth driver. last inspection was 3kmi. ago and pads had well over 50% life on them. Car now has only 29,000mi total. So I looked around, underneath, did not find any scoring on the disk, so just kicked the tire few times. The noise changed in pitch when I drove again and suddenly stopped. Not sure if it was a stone, or maybe pads got stuck on the rotor because I washed the car 2 days prior?
Very strange.:confused:

·
Registered
13,496 Posts
I am thinking you may have had rust on your rotors that got cleaned off after braking a few times.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am thinking you may have had rust on your rotors that got cleaned off after braking a few times.
You might be right. I drove it yesterday again for over 50 miles, and it's dead quite-all normal. I'ts my wife's car, so I rarely ever drive it. I sure enjoy driving this T6, and my wife absolutely loves the XC70. It's our first volvo.
Now she wants me to get rid of my Jag and get a volvo also.......Not sure about that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts