SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title states, this happened to me the other day. Seems as if 30k is a little early for pads to wear so quickly. Is this a somewhat normal instance for the XC?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re: Front brake pads fail state inspection at only 30k miles.... (k24atuner)

I can't say for fact that its normal or not, but I have read around here (and at the dealer) that these cars go through front pads faster than most. I am almost certain that my car had them replaced at 30k. Some people have switched to ceramic pads, if not for better longevity, certainly for reduced brake dust.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

Pretty normal for a heavy vehicle like this. I put my second set in at 60k.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
546 Posts

I replaced my front pads at 19k. The akebono ceramics make no dust, provide just as good stopping power and still have plenty of life left at 36k.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Front brake pads fail state inspection at only 30k miles.... (Mika)

I had my XC90 in for the 45K service in July and they checked the brake pads. I had a Volvo coupon that gave me a discount on brake replacement so I told them if they were anywhere close I wanted to have them replaced as the coupon expired August 31st. Per the dealer my brakes measured: 6.5 mm now, replace at 3.5, 10 mm new. So per that data my brakes, at same wear level, should last for another 38K miles or until about 83K miles on the car. Which I though was excellent since I have also read about some having to replace the brake pads at 20K. I never figured I would get some many miles out of them no matter how I drove.<br>Em

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Front brake pads fail state inspection at only 30k miles.... (em xc90 v8)

<p>42k on the car with a lot left. It all depends on how you drive. Drive from gas to brake, and hard<br>braking, will get the car some new shoes pretty often.<p>My truck (F350) went over 100k before I had to touch the brakes, and that was because a caliper got stiff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts