SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Volvo S60 about to reach 100k miles and I've noticed that my front brakes are getting low and need replacing. I'm pretty sure it has the OEM ones in the front but they have so much brake dust and I want to know any good recommendation that can at least not get black within 3 days of driving.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yes, the ATE pads dust a lot, but they bite well initially. I went with the Zimmerman and Akebono ceramic pad setup and the dusting is much lower, but the pad isn't as grabby with initial pedal press.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Akebono Euros + centric rotors. Low dust and stopping is more than sufficient.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've tried so many rotors with my cars...custom made, stop tech, brembo, centric, and zimmerman to name a few. My preference after many sets is zimmerman, with centric a close second...plain blanks...no more slotted, drilled, etc for me. sure they look cool, but have found over and over again they aren't as durable as the zimmerman blanks.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I went with Coated Zimmerman's with Akebono ceramic pads. So far...liking them.

Reactions: p.rico

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I went with Coated Zimmerman's with Akebono ceramic pads. So far...liking them.
It's a very good combo, I've enjoyed them for the time I've used them (about 2 ish years). Had no issues or complaints.

I'm going to go back to the Volvo OE setup with the ATE pads. They dust a ton, but they are good pads. I had an extra set of Brembo rotors and Textar pads that FCP Euro did not offer anymore as a kit, so I was able to convert the kit to the more expensive Volvo OE set and still honor their lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Yea, I like the low dust aspect of the Akebono pads. What did you have to do to convert a brake kit to be OE?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yea, I like the low dust aspect of the Akebono pads. What did you have to do to convert a brake kit to be OE?
They let me pick a kit of my choosing since they didn't offer the kit I originally bought anymore. So in essence they consider it a "forced upgrade" in their warranty system and will reimburse what you pay for the new kit that you replace the old with. Just had to fill out a different warranty form. This was only for the issue I had, you have to trade "like for like" if they still stock the same item.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
They let me pick a kit of my choosing since they didn't offer the kit I originally bought anymore. So in essence they consider it a "forced upgrade" in their warranty system and will reimburse what you pay for the new kit that you replace the old with. Just had to fill out a different warranty form. This was only for the issue I had, you have to trade "like for like" if they still stock the same item.
Nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts