SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the front brake pads on my 2017 XC60 B4204T11 today and noticed a lot of play of the RHS caliper on it pins. I uploaded a youtube video that shows the play with the piston fully retracted and the clip not yet installed. Is this amount of play considered normal?

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Doesn't the caliper bolt into place? That seems really loose.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I replaced the front brake pads on my 2017 XC60 B4204T11 today and noticed a lot of play of the RHS caliper on it pins. I uploaded a youtube video that shows the play with the piston fully retracted and the clip not yet installed. Is this amount of play considered normal?
Did you tighten the caliper bolts to spec.

It could also be that your caliper is lacking the retainer spring. Pump the brakes so that the caliper has pressure onto the rotor, then install the caliper retaining spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's because the piston is retracted and the spring is missing.
Get in and pump the brake pedal until it's firm then install the spring.
I understand that and have already setup the caliper with the spring also installed. It all test drives OK but I was just a bit surprised that the caliper, with the piston retracted and the spring not installed, seemed to be really loose on the caliper pins. At first I thought that I had forgotten to tighten the pins but all tight and torqued. I suppose that this amount of unloaded floating on the pins is normal?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I don't know what exactly you are trying to test by doing that. With the piston retracted and the spring off, what do you expect?

Yes, it is normal. But that isn't a normal thing anyone would ever check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts