Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking I replaced them just on time

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
I hope I can get that many miles out of mine. Not likely though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It doesn't look much to me, this is my first Volvo, is 23k miles a normal range to change brake pads? What about the disks?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rotors in perfect condition, I think the pilot assist contributes to the wear

·
Registered
205 Posts
Volvo would have replaced them for free. PA is killing brake pads so they have been doing replacement pads for customers.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Volvo would have replaced them for free. PA is killing brake pads so they have been doing replacement pads for customers.
Which models? Haven’t seen it here yet. Only on the XC90 forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When at my dealership for regular maintenance I was offered the swap at cost

·
Registered
205 Posts
Which models? Haven’t seen it here yet. Only on the XC90 forum.

They did it on my xc60 and said there was a bulletin from volvo for cars with PA that have early break wear to replace them

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
When at my dealership for regular maintenance I was offered the swap at cost
same. Judging by your pads, you had several thousand miles left, so it might'e been closer to 30K than 23K (which is also when I changed my fronts, with about the same thickness remaining on pads).

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Are you kidding me, dealership said I had 12 to 1500 left on it. I showed you outer pads, the inner pads were almost to the metal. It's the rear pads that go first.

·
Registered
686 Posts
these postings are pretty interesting. just returned from 20K service (21,500 on the odometer) and service says my front rotors and pads need replacement as they in the "red" zone. rear rotors are "green" wear zone. was pretty surprised rotors would wear so rapidly. did not have time to have the replacements done, have to wait until october.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there an easy way to check this at home? Does the wheel have to come off?
For the best view, absolutely 5 simple bolts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Are you kidding me, dealership said I had 12 to 1500 left on it. I showed you outer pads, the inner pads were almost to the metal. It's the rear pads that go first.
K.. relax. My front inner pad was as thick as the pic you posted and based on what I measured a few months before 23k mi change, I know I had several miles left. Ymmv. Pads are $90 (for me) and the rotors were still great.

My rears were changed much earlier.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No rotor issues at all, how often do you use PA2?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
So... dealer service writer replaced my rears at < 10k mi, at which time he also mentioned PA2 and auto parking brake will eat rear pads. I basically stopped using PA2 for a year and a half. Now that I see the front pads are so easy to change and the new rear pads are holding up fine (no squeals), I’m using them again, but barely.

It’s only been 3k since the front pad change so we’ll see how long the front rotors hold up with infrequent PA2 use.

23k front rotors would really piss me off though, since they’re big $$$

1 - 20 of 21 Posts