SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested......

I was browsing around looking for cross reference rotor information and came accross this BAD ASS kit. I'm seriously considering purchasing this kit as it's the first I've seen of its kind. Plus I want two-piece floating as well.

Cool stuff!

http://www.rocketeerperformanc...b199d

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Front 355mm Rotor Kit! (gdogg16)

I'm sure "john" is a good guy, but do you have any information or knowledge which partains to the kit? To the best of my knowledge, this kit just came to production??

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Re: Front 355mm Rotor Kit! (KVB)

Quote, originally posted by KVB »
I'm sure "john" is a good guy, but do you have any information or knowledge which partains to the kit? To the best of my knowledge, this kit just came to production??

I do not, I'm just letting you know he's a nice guy, ie feel free to contact him cause he will answer your ?s promptly.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

Quote, originally posted by KVB »

Kit has been available for at least 5 months. 1,200 bucks for 2 piece rotors, SS brake line and pads is not bad at all. Very competitively prices to IMO. Also the brembos are more than adequate on the R, especially with some shims and decent pads. Anything more on a caliper is not needed on a streetable car, IMO.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts

I don't know. I see bigger and bigger brakes all the time but the reality seems to be that for many of these aftermarket 'big brake' kits the outer circumfrance increases but the inner circumfrance increases as well meaning you're not really getting much if any additional surface area for braking (combine that with cross-drilling which also decreases surface area and you really have to do your homework.)

Does anybody know the actual surface area (or the inner circumfrance) for this kit?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
another thing to consider is the added weight. If you are not having any issues with the power of your brakes and you add extra weight then you are going backwards in terms of performance.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Front 355mm Rotor Kit! (rollie)

Quote, originally posted by rollie »
I don't know. I see bigger and bigger brakes all the time but the reality seems to be that for many of these aftermarket 'big brake' kits the outer circumfrance increases but the inner circumfrance increases as well meaning you're not really getting much if any additional surface area for braking (combine that with cross-drilling which also decreases surface area and you really have to do your homework.)

Does anybody know the actual surface area (or the inner circumfrance) for this kit?

I particularly like this kit as it utilizes the stock calipers--you don't alter the brake/torque ratio drastically where a certain kit might actually sacrifice performance as a result of an added piston (or two, for extremist).

I don't see the pad area increased and you are correct when contemplating the slots/cross-drills; that would take a little time to sort out and an email or two to the manufacturer/distributer, but overall this shouldn't distract from the benefit of added "leverage". Essentially, you add slightly more leverage to the front because of the increased diameter disk, and better cooling effect as a result of more disk area that BBK's provide.

When I was going into turns from 100+ down to 20 mph, amongst other various types as well, the car didn't get skittish in the tail at all....ever. With that said, one could install this kit and not be overly concerned with changing the brake characteristics and the increased performance would be subtle but noticable.

I'll see if I get more specifics of the kit from "John", that is if Gdogg would be agreeable and provide his email so I can measure the differences.

Kevin

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

The few laps that I did on the ring with my S60R I found the balance to be less compared to the V70R.
Maybe because the front's were nearing their end and the rear braked to hard but the rear of my S60R started fishing under certain circumstances.

Over a timeframe of a few days in the last weeks the brake performance decreased rapidly on my S. Measure the front rotors and they were below 30 mm thickness...

Car is at the dealer now, didn't pick it up tonight, and new front rotors and pads were installed. Maybe tomorrow the ventilation control block in the dash will be exchanged if it comes in on time, pushed the fan knob in the dash with my knee after I lost balance while getting in the car.., and after that I will see if the car behaves different with the new front brakes.

I really hope it will be better because the way it was wasn't anything near what the V70 could do.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Front 355mm Rotor Kit! (Johann)

Johann said:
, pushed the fan knob in the dash with my knee after I lost balance while getting in the car..,

QUOTE]
http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif ????????

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Front 355mm Rotor Kit! (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
The few laps that I did on the ring with my S60R I found the balance to be less compared to the V70R.
Maybe because the front's were nearing their end and the rear braked to hard but the rear of my S60R started fishing under certain circumstances.

Over a timeframe of a few days in the last weeks the brake performance decreased rapidly on my S. Measure the front rotors and they were below 30 mm thickness...

Car is at the dealer now, didn't pick it up tonight, and new front rotors and pads were installed. Maybe tomorrow the ventilation control block in the dash will be exchanged if it comes in on time, pushed the fan knob in the dash with my knee after I lost balance while getting in the car.., and after that I will see if the car behaves different with the new front brakes.

I really hope it will be better because the way it was wasn't anything near what the V70 could do.

Johann,

How were the rotors this past weekend? What did you think of the balance? I'm shopping for rotors right now as mine are now mildly warped and am looking for a two piece upgrade up front for starters and probably the evolve rears as they are the only company that offers a two-piece rear set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts