SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went on a little longer than I meant to in the “What did you do to your car today” thread and figured this topic deserved its own thread which I will add to as I make progress in the tuning process. Please excuse the cross-post copypasta below which I have spruced up with some additional edits here:

I know some of you have seen me singing the praises of my TDI-Tuning box and I do love it for the improvement it gives on top of the excessively mild 3.0T Polestar optimization, however I have decided that I plan on keeping the car a long time and would like to take it further to address some traits relating fothat continue to irritate me which the TDI box cannot fix.

While the P* tune is ok on the street and the TDI box is a big improvement over P* in power and aggression for street driving, I like to go to the drag strip and a major dissatisfier for me is the very annoying soft launch and severe torque limiting in the first two gears which play out over the course of an entire quarter mile run, where time added to the soft launch makes the car run 3-5 tenths slower in the quarter mile than it should be capable of with less restrictive factory ecu/ tcu tuning.

The TDI box makes a huge difference in top end pull and effortless part throttle thrust, but minimal measurable difference launching at the drag strip and in the first two gears where the factory ecu holds it back to nearly identical short time numbers. The fact that it improves upon the P* tune’s quarter mile time and trap speed comes in spite of the ongoing factory tuning efforts to hold back the car’s performance especially at launch and in gears 1 and 2 and when upshifting especially between first and second gear. The TDI box offers about 2-3 tenths better performance over the P* tune in quarter mile time almost entirely due to improvements in the second half of the track. Without factory nannies to work around, the car should be much quicker even at the same peak power level, nevermind if I were to add a big bump in power on top of that. Hardware changes have made small but expensive improvements in performance and everything pointed to my needing to change tunes to (rather expensively) see significant measurable improvements beyond this point.

Rather than continuing to add hardware and creative workarounds that will be held back by the same factory “anti-tuning” measures, with vague longterm aspirations to get a better tune eventually, I made a rather impulsive decision to jump on an opportunity to go with Hilton Tuning much sooner than expected, made possible thanks to their 15% off Black Friday sale. I ordered the Stage 2+ tune and will be uninstalling the TDI box and moving forward with loading Hilton software in the near future. I’m also planning to get the Mototec 3” catback as I suspect my stock catback has been a bottleneck with my current setup and the new tune will certainly benefit from a the efficiency of a complete turboback.

My current quarter mile best is semi-repeatable 12.9s but those numbers are very condition-dependent and seem to require cold air and a bit of race gas on top of the usual 93. I’m often stuck in the low 13s. Looking for high 12s all day every day without having to do anything sketchy like launching in 2nd gear, and hoping for a chance to see how much farther I can get into the 12s under ideal conditions, Will Hilton let me see 12.7s or better? Stay tuned!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went on a little longer than I meant to in the “What did you do to your car today” thread and figured this topic deserved its own thread which I will add to as I make progress in the tuning process. Please excuse the cross-post copypasta below which I have spruced up with some additional edits here:

I know some of you have seen me singing the praises of my TDI-Tuning box and I do love it for the improvement it gives on top of the excessively mild 3.0T Polestar optimization, however I have decided that I plan on keeping the car a long time and would like to take it further to address some traits relating fothat continue to irritate me which the TDI box cannot fix.

While the P* tune is ok on the street and the TDI box is a big improvement over P* in power and aggression for street driving, I like to go to the drag strip and a major dissatisfier for me is the very annoying soft launch and severe torque limiting in the first two gears which play out over the course of an entire quarter mile run, where time added to the soft launch makes the car run 3-5 tenths slower in the quarter mile than it should be capable of with less restrictive factory ecu/ tcu tuning.

The TDI box makes a huge difference in top end pull and effortless part throttle thrust, but minimal measurable difference launching at the drag strip and in the first two gears where the factory ecu holds it back to nearly identical short time numbers. The fact that it improves upon the P* tune’s quarter mile time and trap speed comes in spite of the ongoing factory tuning efforts to hold back the car’s performance especially at launch and in gears 1 and 2 and when upshifting especially between first and second gear. The TDI box offers about 2-3 tenths better performance over the P* tune in quarter mile time almost entirely due to improvements in the second half of the track. Without factory nannies to work around, the car should be much quicker even at the same peak power level, nevermind if I were to add a big bump in power on top of that. Hardware changes have made small but expensive improvements in performance and everything pointed to my needing to change tunes to (rather expensively) see significant measurable improvements beyond this point.

Rather than continuing to add hardware and creative workarounds that will be held back by the same factory “anti-tuning” measures, with vague longterm aspirations to get a better tune eventually, I made a rather impulsive decision to jump on an opportunity to go with Hilton Tuning much sooner than expected, made possible thanks to their 15% off Black Friday sale. I ordered the Stage 2+ tune and will be uninstalling the TDI box and moving forward with loading Hilton software in the near future. I’m also planning to get the Mototec 3” catback as I suspect my stock catback has been a bottleneck with my current setup and the new tune will certainly benefit from a the efficiency of a complete turboback.

My current quarter mile best is de mi-repeatable 12.9s but I’m often stuck in the low 13s. Looking for high 12s all day every day without having to do anything sketchy like launching in 2nd gear, and hoping for a chance to see how much farther I can get into the 12s under ideal conditions, Will Hilton let me see 12.7s or better? Stay tuned!
Thanks for the write up, I will be keeping an eye on this thread cause it is very interesting. Have you noticed any decrease in reliability with the TDI tuning box? What level do you daily your TDI Tuning box on? How many miles have you put on the TDI tuning box?

Keep us updated!!

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I’ve been running mostly Map 7, the most aggressive map. I worked my way up to it since I wasn’t fully confident in the safety of 7 but so far it has been mostly a very positive experience without any powertrain issues in the time I’ve been running the TDI box, which I’d say has been around 3 years and 40,000+ miles or so. My T6 currently has 87k miles and it continues to run strong and smoothly and it’s quicker than it was when it was nearly new. I have intermittent check engine lights and my transmission has some idiosyncrasies and I’ll be curious to see if those issues go away when I switch to a dedicated tune rather than a work-around which might have a ripple effect affecting other aspects of the way the car drives and monitors itself. Over all the P* tune stacked with the TDI box is a big improvement over the P* tune on its own, imo. At least in terms of making the car faster than before and doing so reliably thus far.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like my Hilton tune, but catback probably won't be a bottle neck, at least it isn't on P2 cars. I'd say downpipe would be a better investment first before the catback.

EDIT: Oh wait... you already have one duh I forgot to check the Sig 🤣

·
Registered
521 Posts
How much additional power (HP and torque) does the Hilton tune get you? I tried looking on the site and couldn't find anything, since I already have a Polestar tune (T6 3.0T, same as you I believe), I'd assume I would need the one that says Polestar to stage 2. But, before spending $1,500+ on the tune and a downpipe, I'd at least want some approximate idea of the power increase.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bunnspeed you've been nothing but very balanced and forthright in all of your write-ups (and you've been a huge inspiration for me). Absolutely no one can fault you for the very progressive, fact-based approach that you've given your modifications over time. I'm excited for you, and to see the results as they play out. I'd also love to hear about your experience with navigating back and forth with Hilton on tweaks and optimizations to dial it in (assuming it will take a few times to log, analyze, tweak, reflash, etc.).

In the end, the only thing that really holds me back from a full tune (and sticking with my TDI box)...doesn't Hilton's process require a Windows laptop to process and load the tune files? I hate for that to be the part that I cheap out on, but I'm a Mac user through and through, and I just hate the MS Windows experience. The thought of spending any money on a Windows device makes my stomach churn. I'd love your feedback on just what's required in terms of hands-on from a computer perspective, if you're willing. If it's simple and straight forward enough, maybe I'll relent.

Thanks!
Robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much additional power (HP and torque) does the Hilton tune get you? I tried looking on the site and couldn't find anything, since I already have a Polestar tune (T6 3.0T, same as you I believe), I'd assume I would need the one that says Polestar to stage 2. But, before spending $1,500+ on the tune and a downpipe, I'd at least want some approximate idea of the power increase.
Check out builtforspeed on youtube. He did stage 2 with dp and other upgrades and got 332 whp and 455 tq on stage 2 Hilton. Then he added the Elevate manifold, redynoed and got 347 whp and 500 tq.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks, I’ve been running mostly Map 7, the most aggressive map. I worked my way up to it since I wasn’t fully confident in the safety of 7 but so far it has been mostly a very positive experience without any powertrain issues in the time I’ve been running the TDI box, which I’d say has been around 3 years and 40,000+ miles or so. My T6 currently has 87k miles and it continues to run strong and smoothly and it’s quicker than it was when it was nearly new. I have intermittent check engine lights and my transmission has some idiosyncrasies and I’ll be curious to see if those issues go away when I switch to a dedicated tune rather than a work-around which might have a ripple effect affecting other aspects of the way the car drives and monitors itself. Over all the P* tune stacked with the TDI box is a big improvement over the P* tune on its own, imo. At least in terms of making the car faster than before and doing so reliably thus far.
You got your monies worth on that TDI box! Congrats on the Hilton!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the post. I'll keep an eye on your updates.
I personnaly do not track the car, only trying to improve it within a reasonable budget / keep the car comfortable considering the quality of the roads in Quebec.
It is nice to see what are the possibilities of the car.

·
Administrator
55,859 Posts
Looking forward to what the Hilton Tune does for you @Bunnspeed . I wish Volvo would have released the Polestar transmission tune to improve transmission shifts. Does Hilton offer transmission programming?

I am considering a custom tune for my S60 Polestar once I get some hardware upgrades installed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Would be nice if Hilton could also offer some crackle n pop on over run in their tunes! Plenty of phone loaded tunes for other cars that can incorporate this (MHD).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Would be nice if Hilton could also offer some crackle n pop on over run in their tunes! Plenty of phone loaded tunes for other cars that can incorporate this (MHD).
I have spoken to Hilton about this on the T6 engine. They said that they are currently working in the developement of one.

Reactions: abcdefghii

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

My current quarter mile best is semi-repeatable 12.9s but those numbers are very condition-dependent and seem to require cold air and a bit of race gas on top of the usual 93. I’m often stuck in the low 13s. Looking for high 12s all day every day without having to do anything sketchy like launching in 2nd gear, and hoping for a chance to see how much farther I can get into the 12s under ideal conditions, Will Hilton let me see 12.7s or better? Stay tuned!
PM me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts