SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I decided to finally replace my leaky thermostat and replace my power steering pump. Easy jobs right? Even easier as I’ve done both jobs numerous times for different reasons.

1) I drained some coolant into a pail trying to be a good citizen. I was then Going to re-use. When I pop off thermostat coolant goes all over engine then driveway because I didn’t drain it enough. I chuckle. No biggy.

2) I pop off pressure hose from ps pump and little rubber o-ring is all but destroyed...didn’t anticipate that one and don’t have a replacement. I chuckle (a bit less) not a problem. I can replace the o/ring next week and prob still drive without issue with beat up o-ring reinstalled.

3) drop one of the ps pump mounting bolts into engine bay. Might as well have been dropped into a black hole. Gone. No problem I have another in tool box. Phew.

4) go to remove thermostat but I broke the only hex socket I have that will fit in the small space below thermostat when I was at the yard earlier. Stuck taking apart a hex-multi-tool to use the T40 bit using a vise-grip on the end of it. Not liking this anymore and really just want a beer.

5) go to put thermostat back on and realize that the online reseller sold me a gasket that doesn’t fit my thermostat. Wow you think I would have checked that anytime over the last 8 weeks when I had the replacement and the gasket on the shelf staring at me. Stuck re-using old gasket. Bloody hell.

6) my favourite: continue reinstalling thermostat but the top bolt just keeps spinning. Very confused. Turn it some more. Just spins. Yep, I’ve somehow striped the female threads that are nestled into the top rhs of the engine. Awesome. Not chuckling. Desperate for that beer. Look around for a longer M6 bolt. Nope. Decide to go all in and enlarge the hole to an M8 and slam a bigger bolt in there. Take that Volvo! Barely succeed in getting the tap in far enough due to restricted space. phew. Oh wait, larger bolt won’t fit in thermo. No problem. I drill the hole larger. Wait, angle of thermo itself prevents the larger bolt from being inserted in thermo at all, yep, time to use the file to grind down the thermo a bit. There we go.

I pat myself on the back for remaining calm and not caving to the temptation of opening a beer. I finish job.

I clean up all tools except the tap and die set (you know the larger one with a billion bits and pieces in it). I lift the case and yep, I didn’t fasten the retaining clips to keep the case closed. Bits and pieces all over drive.

Well, at least it didn’t rain while I was picking up all the pieces and I finally got to drink that beer while my son and I got the set back together.

Sometimes easy jobs truly are the most aggravating.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Some days, they just put up a fight!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait, did this all happened this afternoon??? JFC!
Yep, I started soon after you dropped by. I got into bed last night and my wife says, why are you so grumpy? I went with my standard, “I’m not grumpy.” I’m pretty sure I even sounded grumpy when I said it.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 5 of 5 Posts