SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. Four C70s and nary a roof problem until today(actually, probably yesterday).

This pic will hopefully show the driver's side outer panel "down" ...out of position with the roof all the way up(thank goodness).
The panel is spring-loaded, it seems; but I can't find what holds it in place(cable??? clip???)

I'm hoping this is a relatively common malady and is easily fixable. I'm reluctant to activate the top for further inspection UNLESS one of you top gurus tells me it's OK. I sure as heck don't want to take this to the dealer(unless necessary) as I could only see the $$$$ mounting up!!!

Please help!!!!! IMG_1620.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could you take a clear picture maybe when top is up? I had similar issue, the plastic where the screws were holding cracked. I put a metal plate on the other side and applied some sunflex to make the plastic stronger. The service asked for almost 800 usd for the part.

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Btw that part is connected with a hard thread. I can take a photo tomorrow

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oof, that looks annoying. I can try to see what mine looks like later tonight, but it's really a lot colder than I'd like to be operating the top where I'm at. From the pic it almost looks like it didn't quite get into place in time and thus got stuck down? I hope you can figure it out without a dealer visit.

2009 C70 year round daily

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you take a clear picture maybe when top is up? I had similar issue, the plastic where the screws were holding cracked. I put a metal plate on the other side and applied some sunflex to make the plastic stronger. The service asked for almost 800 usd for the part.

You mean when the top is lifted? It's in the full up position for this pic. I'm gonna need to take a closer look as I didn't see anything cracked or obviously missing and I can't compare it to the other side that is in its proper position. I supposed I could activate the roof for a couple of seconds to lift it for better access(I hope!!!)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oof, that looks annoying. I can try to see what mine looks like later tonight, but it's really a lot colder than I'd like to be operating the top where I'm at. From the pic it almost looks like it didn't quite get into place in time and thus got stuck down? I hope you can figure it out without a dealer visit.

Thanks...we've held on to summer for a few extra weeks....been in the mid-80s the last few days.
As I mentioned, the other side looks proper and secure; so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for ;)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmmmmm... Upon further review, I found what I believe is the offending piece and resultant failed connection. The cable that grabs the panel pulled through the plastic "seat" and is dangling like a participle. This LOOKS like a simple fix; but I'm sure it's more complicated than it appears. Not sure how to release the tension in order to reconnect with the plastic "receiver" even IF I can repair the piece.
Too bad I didn't order some of that UV activated "glue" I've seen advertised on YouTube !!! :)
Stay tuned!!! View attachment 71591 IMG_1621.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was able to pull my car into the shop to run the top. So the cord that pulls that piece up is not visible in your pic. it attaches midway down the panel toward the outer edge and goes to the spring in the second. I think there shouldn't be an issue moving the top to gain access, but I cannot confirm.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that, 09. Your pics are much better than mine! That little plastic attachment point split and allowed the cable to pull free. I can just barely get the two to meet; but I need to release some more tension to make the connection(provided I can repair that anchor point).
As I mentioned, we've not had a single problem with C70 roofs in the past; so I'm not at all familiar with this procedure!! I'd hate to replace that entire plastic piece just to get a fresh anchor!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't had the nerve to put the top into too many positions while I investigate. Does anyone know if there is a point at which the tension would be relieved on this little cable??? I'm thinking I'll try some of that UV activated plastic "glue" to repair the little receiver while the cable end is in place(IF I can get the tension slacked).

While we're at it, has anyone tried the new-fangled UV activated glues? This seems like a reasonable application IF it works in general.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't had the nerve to put the top into too many positions while I investigate. Does anyone know if there is a point at which the tension would be relieved on this little cable???
If you can tell the position from my pics, there was some tension on the cable, but easily relieved by manually lifting on the piece. The arm just ahead of the section with the piece in question was at about 90° up if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can tell the position from my pics, there was some tension on the cable, but easily relieved by manually lifting on the piece. The arm just ahead of the section with the piece in question was at about 90° up if I recall correctly.

Thanks...I'm going to experiment some more today.
Interesting "research" of plastic-bonding adhesives on YouTube last night. I want to try re-building the plastic "anchor" that holds the cable end and it looks like original JB Weld might be the best approach. Seems the UV activated "glues" are quite brittle when cured and something like the JB Weld has just a touch of flex.
I guess I might as well take a shot!!! Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
the cable came loose from the attachment point...i had this issue last week...i wish i had taken pictures,it wasnt a hard fix,basically had to remove the anchor/eyelet and open it up,then was able to pass the cable and reattached it..

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
the cable came loose from the attachment point...i had this issue last week...i wish i had taken pictures,it wasnt a hard fix,basically had to remove the anchor/eyelet and open it up,then was able to pass the cable and reattached it..
In my case, it looks like the cable actually split the plastic anchor point. I'm hoping to re-place the cable, coat with JB Weld, hold it in place somehow and let it cure overnight. I'll clean the plastic anchor with alcohol. The cable and end piece are intact.

ETA: I managed to get the attachment to post above...shows the split anchor point.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I took a swing at the problem tonight. Found a position that left slack in the cable and went from there. I scuffed up the anchor point with 80 grit sand paper and placed a bit of painters tape(the green) over the opening in the plastic "cowl" just under the anchor point. I'm glad I took a good look in the daylight as I had not noticed the hole. Would have been messy if the JB Weld had been forced through the opening and soaked into the headliner.
I put some JB Weld into the anchor, inserted the cable(not easy) and topped off the anchor point with more JB Weld. We shall see if this effort was successful...in the morning after 16 hours of curing. I may try to take DW's XC40 to Pickleball in the morning so the JB Weld has some more time to cure.

I'm kinda hoping this little "fix" did the trick!!! IMG_1627.jpg

·
Registered
571 Posts
ok...i think a better fix is to drill a hole on the side and use a small tie strap to hold the cable in place....ill try to post a pic of mine tomorrow

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ok...i think a better fix is to drill a hole on the side and use a small tie strap to hold the cable in place....ill try to post a pic of mine tomorrow
I considered that; but that anchor point seems pretty fragile. I figured any drilling might weaken it even more.

My "fix" seems to be working; but the headliner panel is not quite flush/tight in place when the top is fully up. It's not terrible...barely noticeable unless you are very familiar with the view from the back seat ;) I'll take another look today. I actually thought the cable might pull a little too tight as the repair I made doesn't allow the cable to pull straight up from the center of the attaching point...see attachment in post #16 IMG_1625.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts