SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's almost free
. Provided you have a good dremel and an assortment of the proper bits. The only cost is a little wear and tear on your bits and some sweat.

Bryan and I both did this at the same time. Took us about three hours to do both. On my 5 mile drive home the butt dyno says it was more responsive, but it was also a chilly 26 degrees.

We wanted to smooth out the passage ways of the "Over the Engine" (OTE) pipe in preparation for a custom tune at RICA in a few weeks. Every little bit helps.

This is the pipe after removing from the car. Very easy to remove, about ten minutes. Two screws on top of the engine, one hose clamp each on the turbo and intercooler sides. It's a little tricky to pull out once disconnected but a little patience and creative turning will get it.

This is a close-up before shot.

I only have shots of the intercooler side as it took the most work. On the turbo side it has a piece welded on and a bead of welding material on the inside. Our pipes both had differant amounts of bead on the inside. We just smoothed out the weld

This is a close-up at an angle after and before shot

This is a close-up straight on after and before shot

This is how much we took off. Look on the right, about 2 mm. Jim Lill, how much increased airflow can we expect, LOL. We were careful not to take too much off as we didn't want it to become too thin and risk rupture.

This is Bryan using one of the finer sand paper type bits. I think we used about five differant bits. Starting with course which takes off the most material, and ending with a wheel bit and some fine sand paper to ensure it was smooth.

Here is the part number, in case you screw it up and need a new one.

Like the topic title says, it's free, plus it was fun. Just make sure before you start using your dremel, stuff a couple rags in each side to catch the trimmings. Then before you mount it, dump it out, blow it out, wash it out, what ever it takes. Just one metal shaving could trash your engine.

Cheers http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by speedemon at 1:43 AM 3-13-2006

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Free Over the engine turbo pipe porting (JimLill)

Yap, we also used some scotch brite to finish it off.

Bryan has two heavy duty dremels (or another brand) that hang from the top and is activated by a foot pedal. Very nice http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: Free Over the engine turbo pipe porting (speedemon)

Quote, originally posted by speedemon »

Question on the ends. Did you dremel off (flattened) the ends as well? The lip of the right one is thicker than the left.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: Free Over the engine turbo pipe porting (mike_c70)

Jim, I have 3 different dremels. One is like the small one in your picture (1001 uses for that baby). I have 2 more serious ones hung overhead with flexible driveshafts, one you can measure in horsepower and one smaller for fine work. Use the big one to port heads etc.

This was a an easy job. We wanted to remove the choke point as much as we could. Our 2.0" pipe going to the intercooler has 49mm ID, and I wanted to get to that if we could. The OD of the area around this restriction point is 53.xx mm. The stock ID was 45.xx mm, and we went to about 48.5x mm. I didn't want to go too far and make the walls to thin. We smoothed out the transition in the pipe to this area too, but you can't see that in the photos. Nice smooth flow areas.

Just to clarify, the photos showing then side by side, should read AFTER and BEFORE (stock on right).

The stock end looks thick. We did not cut that off, but I radiused the outlet, to reduce ramp turbulence in that area. The stock lip is worse than it looks. While it goes big to give a nice bead for the hose to grab onto (we left this OD lip on, but radiused out to match it) it also goes a bit smaller on ID. Not sure, why, probably just a casting by-product. Both OTE pipes had it. It is so bad, I would recommend everyone grind at least this part out, even if you had stock everything else.

I kept thinking what if. What if cut off the end of the OTE pipe to fit a larger aluminum pipe end, to then match a larger pipe flowing into the FMIC. There is no way enought room to weld a 2.5" pipe end on, unless you start way back where the pipe is oval over the engine. It would definately stand out. You could possibly weld a 2.25" end on if only cut a couple inches. It would still be a challenge and would have to be flattened on one side, as the stock OTE pipe has a flat side near the intake manifold. I looked more at the FMIC pipe that came in our kits. Looked at all the clearances down below. I don't think a 2.5" pre FMIC pipe would fit in there, no matter how you routed it. A 2.25" only just might, but it definatley would be rubbing. I can really see why they put the 2.0" pipe in there.

Thanks Jesse for helping. It is always big fun doing car projects like this with your company.

Happy porting

Bryan

Modified by DE V70R at 9:47 PM 3-12-2006

Modified by DE V70R at 10:13 PM 3-12-2006

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Free Over the engine turbo pipe porting (DE V70R)

Quote, originally posted by DE V70R »
Jim, I have 3 different dremels. One is like the small one in your picture (1001 uses for that baby).

Figured you must... wanted to make sure people knew there are bigger tools etc. I have a Foredam I use for porting.........

·
Registered
180 Posts

Is the OTE pipe plastic or aluminum? Mine seems to be plastic, which would make both the process of porting, and the possibility of screwing it up, quick.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Free Over the engine turbo pipe porting (DE V70R)

Quote, originally posted by DE V70R »
Just to clarify, the photos showing then side by side, should read AFTER and BEFORE (stock on right).

Fixed

Quote, originally posted by Ready to R »
Is the OTE pipe plastic or aluminum? Mine seems to be plastic, which would make both the process of porting, and the possibility of screwing it up, quick.

The OTE pipe is aluminum. I was surprised at how light it was, even lighter after we were finished http://********************/smile/emthup.gif .

Cheers

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

I believe the 2006 Rs went to a plastic pipe.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

So you guys removed the venturi which gave the charge the extra swing around the tight 10 degree turn??

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
i seriously doubt it will do much of anything.

Besides increase airflow post turbo, by removing smallest airflow diameter, nah, not much.

Not everything by itself is worth big hp, it is about maximizing potential.

If you went to all the trouble of putting in a FMIC, and you could increase your air flow easily and for free, why wouldn't you do it?

People spend LOTS of money porting exhaust manifolds to minimally increase airflow right?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: Free Over the engine turbo pipe porting (Ready to R)

They are plastic from what I hear......

But 06's come with improved software and ECM bus! Yah!!!

Cost cutting sucks, but I guess something has to give.

Kevin

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Free Over the engine turbo pipe porting (KVB)

Who knows if it makes a dif or not, but it didn't hurt, plus I like the free one's just to get a little edge on the other guy http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: Free Over the engine turbo pipe porting (KVB)

Sorry. In response to what OUR R wrote:

Quote, originally posted by KVB »
They are plastic from what I hear......

But 06's come with improved software and ECM bus! Yah!!!

Cost cutting sucks, but I guess something has to give.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.