SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I bought my 2005 S40 2.4i at around 75000 miles.
The car had somtimes CEL on and some days CEL off.
The dealer that made the service(including fuel filter change) said it was a faulty FPS. A new one would cost me $500.

Then the CEL become ON all the time.

My scanner said P0190 and the fuel pressure reading was erratic, from time to time it seems to be properly working and suddenly it reads high values like you can see in the picture.

So thanks to this forum I decided to replace it myself, ordered a new sensor, and yesterday I replaced it following the super-clear process described in the sticky, Thanks SS!

Al went wonderful, replaced the sensor and started the engine to test. Everything was perfect, the new pressure readings were above 310psi without glitches. Super happy I shut down the car.

Then I opened the ECM cover in the ACL and saw it was very dirty so I clean up a little bit with dry paper and blowing over the connectors(did not unplug anything).

A couple of hours later I went for a test drive and noticed that the pressure had dropped according to the ELM327 it was under 300 psi all times, (switching between 250 and 265)
and now I hear a high pitch noise coming form the rear right side.

CEL did not show till now and the car runs smooth and perfectly fine, much better than before.
But that noise is annoying and the idea that I could be forcing the fuel pump is killing me.

Please, Any help is greately appreciated!

Should I get the old sensor back in place?
Is that noise normal until pressure builds up?? Currently I can hear all the time when car is started until shut off.
Cleaning the ECM would have had something to do???
Did I get the wrong sensor? My car is non turbo, so the original sensor is black, I am replacing with 31272732(the white one) instead of 31272733 (the black one)

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Bad fuel pressure sensors on non-turbos are quite rare. Bad PEM modules on the other hand are quite common. PEM INFO
Do you live in an area with snow & ice, lots of rain, sea coast? The PEMs go bad only because of internal corrosion. Here in the USA they were recalled on cars located in the so called "rust belt" area of the country.

Did I get the wrong sensor? My car is non turbo, so the original sensor is black, I am replacing with 31272732(the white one) instead of 31272733 (the black one)
YES, the correct sensor is 31272733. 31272732 is for the turbo.

Cleaning the ECM would have had something to do???
No

Since you already bought it you need to exchange the FPS for the correct unit. If the problem continues I'd look carefully at the PEM.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Fuel pressure sensor may be looking the same but might be calibrated very differently as fuel pump will create different types of fuel pressure to work with different kinds of engine fuel injections.
So I'd be tempted to say that you have installed the wrong fuel sensor.

I also agree that loud pitch noise could come from the oil trap element. A very common issue. Check the hose above it and see if it is cracked.
Mine ended up splitting like this. The inside valve might be worn out as well even if the hose is not cracked.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's an FPS for a T5, isn't it? I'm not sure if a person could/should use a FPS for both the 2.4i and T5 models.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I believe the blue oval ring (gasket) is for the T5's... I might be wrong but I think that is one way of telling between turbo and N/A cars

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Bad fuel pressure sensors on non-turbos are quite rare
Yes, I hardly found another user with a P0190 DTC, anyway had a lot of sense to me that the sensor was faulty since the OBD2 fuel pressure variable was that erratic... also the volvo official got it scanned with VIDA and he also said that the FPS was having too high values, so everything points to the FPS in this case.

Do you live in an area with snow & ice, lots of rain, sea coast?
No I dont, no sea, no salty air, no snow, no ice, perfect weather for cars.

I also agree that loud pitch noise could come from the oil trap element
Yes but in this case it definitelly was the fuel pump, I started the car, the noise appear, I opened the fuel filler cap and put my ear there, and yes definetelly was coming from there...

Fuel pressure sensor may be looking the same but might be calibrated very differently
hey volvo engs! I dont find this to be very smart!, why dont you just create a single sensor that senses the pressure, then you can calibrate the ECU, so it knows how to handle its well known pump..
Why do we need so many sensors to sense a single parameter???
Probably one costing double have smthing to do ...

Well I cheked in VADIS, in "Signal specification" for my model(Naturally Aspirated), it says:
Fuel pressure sensor, signal fuel presure:
Idle: 480 +/- 5 kPa(absolute pressure) U=1.8 - 2 V
The voltage increases with higher fuel pressure

And in the same page for a S40 Turbo says:
Fuel pressure sensor, signal fuel presure:
Idle: 350-400 kPa(absolute pressure) U=1.8 - 2 V

So I guess that my ECU was being fooled by the sensor and pushing the pump beyond its limits... :facepalm:
thats why the whinning...

Immediately went to the car and rolled back the change. Put the old sensor back again, and thankfully the high pitch noise went away

So I am back to square one now. CEL didnt take long to appear again.
I fully clean the old sensor with hope it gets good now, but has same erratic behavior, working some time, and going full volt level othe times.

So Lesson learned:

I'm not sure if a person could/should use a FPS for both the 2.4i and T5 models.
I am sure now, ITS NOT THE SAME, and a person SHOULD NOT.

So if any one in need of a turbo FPS wants to trade for a NON Turbo FPS, LET ME KNOW!! will be happy to pay for all the shipping and handling!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Sounds like you have it handled. All you need is the correct FPS & everything should be good.

·
Registered
658 Posts
FYI, I had to replace my FPS at around 105K. Main reason I think was the PEM module putting too much force on the FPS. In any case, replacing it took away the P-code I was getting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally! The sensor arrived, fitted asap and works like a charm! Its exactly the same I removed, even with the aditional wing

the only difference is that it has not the volvo logo, otherwise its the same, even with same bosch numbers.
No more CEL, no more P0190,P0191 DTC's no more fuel pump noise. Excelent. Thank you rmeuropean :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts