SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’m new to the group and looking for a bit of help trouble shooting a suspension / headlight issues. Problems started after I backed my 2011 XC70 into a heavily snow covered driveway. When I pulled out again I had two dash warnings, ‘active chassis service required’ and ‘headlight malfunction’. Car was also locked in ‘advanced’ suspesion mode but handles very soft and poorly.

Initial thought was a broken wire on/around the electronic suspension ssytem but I could not see anything physically wrong around the sensors or the struts. I purchased an Autel 802 to scan the system. Headlight system returned a ‘permanent error, invalid data from Sum system’. I couldn’t probe the suspension system for codes but was was able to live feed data from it. The front and rear rightside level sensors show zero voltage. Left appear to be ranging fine. Some of the other sensors are also showing zero voltage but I need to research those a bit more to understand what the expected values should be. However, my guess is still that I have broken the 5 volt senor feed wire loop with some hard packed snow from the driveway. I’m trying to zero in on where the break maybe but can’t find a wire diagram or truely understand the wire routing.

If you have some thoughts or suggestions of problem areas, I’m all ears.
Thanks, Roco

·
Registered
273 Posts
While I don't have any specific advice for you, it does appear you're on the right track.

You don't mention in your post what car you're working on - that might help narrow it down for someone with experience with your model/year/region/etc. You should update your signature so that your car info shows up in the sidebar on the left under your name/etc.

In my Canadian 2008 3.2l each corner has a 'level sensor' which I'm guessing is a little potentiometer in a black box mounted on the body and connected to the suspension arms using a little plastic linkage. I would suggest you get a good look at the linkage and the wiring to that black box. As I recall it's relatively well protected from attacks from road debris just from being mounted up away from the wheel itself, but as you know snow can get in anywhere and do weird things.

If you're enterprising with the interwebs you can go looking for the Volvo EWD (Electronic Wiring Diagrams). I happen to have the wiring book for my car right here on this computer and can send it to you if you think it would help. Something like alldata can help you with this kind of thing also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jadnhm, thanks for the response. The car is a 2011 XC70, in the orignal post. It is a T6, Level 3, Canada.

The level sensors are just standard POTS, with linkage that read the lower control arm position, as you stated. I’ve had a good look at these and there associated wiring but do not see any issues. What I’m really trying to determine is how the senors wiring is routed around the car. ie If the left side sensors are live and the right side dead and I know the loop crosses from the left to right at the rear of the car i can concerntate my effort there.

If you can provide wiring diagrams that would be great. I searched the web for diagrams but not much luck.

Thanks, RoCo

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love how we have 4C-equipped XC/V’s in Canada and the US does not!!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts