SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I didn't get to go to the IPD Garage Sale this weekend :( but I still had to make a trip to Boise. Missing some time in the drivers seat I decided to take the fun and twisty way home. This route provided everything I could want to push the R to it's limits (safely of course ;)) Plenty of tight curves, three mountain passes and a couple of LONG wide open straightaways WITHOUT traffic :D

Here's the route:

So what did I find??? Well I found a new route home, which I'd never driven before, and it has miles of beautiful road conditions :thumbup:

In the corners, I was able to push the R hard enough to get some significant understeer and tire squealing. It's good to know just how deep into the corner you can get :thumbup: I spent a lot of time in advanced and I LOVE my TME's even more then before!

I also was able to find the speed limiter. It's right where it is supposed to be at 155mph :eek: :thumbup:

And stopping along the way I took some great photos. I was surprised to find out just how good they turned out, but you can decide.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I also was able to find the speed limiter. It's right where it is supposed to be at 155mph :eek: :thumbup:
We don't need no stinking limiters :eek: 170 or bust :cool:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't need no stinking limiters :eek: 170 or bust :cool:
Haha. Yes I agree. When I get the $$$ for an ARD tune I will get to the 170's :thumbup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Very nice! I am going to be taking HWY 2 through Washington on my way to Couer D' Alene ID. Looking forward to it. Just have to watch out for the deer. I wish Montana still had the "Reasonable and Prudent" speed limit! lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
Beautiful pics, bro!
(I really like the one with the clouds partially blocking the sun, the mountains in the background, and the "angularness" of the caR...)

Thanks for letting us mentally hitch a ride with ya'

·
Registered
428 Posts
Love the O.Z. Ultraleggeras and the red calipers, looks great with your black caR.
You're lucky to live in that part of the country.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So last night after I posted this thread I "found" something else out too... Although it's obscured by the clouds in the last two photos there was a Solar Eclipse going on as I was taking the photos! What a cool coincidence :thumbup: And in fact guessing at the timing, I think that this photo was taken just a few minutes before the actual peak of the eclipse, which occurred at 7:30pm Mountain Time, and I'm guess I took this photo around 7:15pm!

BTW I got lucky with these shots as they're just from my Panasonic Lumix point and shoot, with a little help from the iPhoto "enhance" button ;)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice! I am going to be taking HWY 2 through Washington on my way to Couer D' Alene ID. Looking forward to it. Just have to watch out for the deer. I wish Montana still had the "Reasonable and Prudent" speed limit! lol
I grew up on Bainbridge Island and shredded Stevens Pass so I'm quite familiar with Hwy 2. Should be a great drive and way better than the I-90 route. Plenty of WIDE OPEN places to go fast!

Looks beautiful, great backdrop for some quality R photos. :thumbup:
Thanks!

Looks great, how is the FW holding up? Also i think its time for some spacers in the rear. 10mm??
Thanks Dustin. The SMF is GREAT! It's still a little loud and there's enough idle chatter that people ask if it's a diesel :p FWIW I don't know if I need the 10mm's with the 38mm offset of the OZ Ultraleggeras, But maybe some 5mm's? I think the wheels are already pretty close to the fender and after pushing it hard yesterday I want to check for signs of rubbing.

Beautiful pics, bro!
(I really like the one with the clouds partially blocking the sun, the mountains in the background, and the "angularness" of the caR...)

Thanks for letting us mentally hitch a ride with ya'
Cheers! Thanks for the compliments. I really love our caRs and it's fun spreading some stoke among the forum, especially considering there were major Volvo shows on both coasts this weekend.

Love the O.Z. Ultraleggeras and the red calipers, looks great with your black caR.
You're lucky to live in that part of the country.
Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with the set up myself :) I need to redo the calipers just to satisfy my own level of perfection, then the black brembo decals will be installed to tie it all together.

As for where I live, yeah I made a good choice, but Ferndale isn't too bad either as you've got access to Mt. Baker, the San Jauns and for summer driving the North Cascades Hwy :thumbup: In fact, I think that the Methow Valley is pretty similar to Sun Valley.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd love to live somewhere I could wake up and look at the mountains every morning. Nice pics.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a random question about my R that developed along the drive. Whenever I open a window or the sunroof I get warm/hot air that blows on my lower legs and feet. This happens regardless of whether or not the climate control system in on or off. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Had a random question about my R that developed along the drive. Whenever I open a window or the sunroof I get warm/hot air that blows on my lower legs and feet. This happens regardless of whether or not the climate control system in on or off. Any ideas?
This is such a shot in the dark, but... Maybe when you do this, your cabin is getting colder. Even though the CCM is off, it still gently blows out air to some extent based on your temperature setting. The next time it happens, try turning your temperature all the way down and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting thought but I don't think it's the case... I've set the interior temp well below the outside temp and it still happens. Plus the hot air is pushing out even when the A/C is on...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Interesting thought but I don't think it's the case... I've set the interior temp well below the outside temp and it still happens. Plus the hot air is pushing out even when the A/C is on...
Well it was worth a try lol

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I take it that you don't experience this... My guess is that it has to do with cabin pressurization.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Beautiful pics and what a drive. I approve 100% :thumbup:

Wait did I read you hit 155mph, niiiiice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts