SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pick up my new XC90 today and found a paint chip (deep, basically down to the metal) about 1cm in circumference on the front bumper of the car ( I did not take a picture ) and a very minor dent in the hood. The dealer quickly offered to fix it and I will come back in when it is done to re-inspect and finalize the deal. My concern is the paint matching vs the factory paint. Opinions? Should I ask for a new vehicle (they do not have another matching vehicle on the lot)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ask for a new car. It will rust later and then the dealer won’t know you. Also factory paint is better than the stuff they spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ask for a new car. It will rust later and then the dealer won't know you. Also factory paint is better than the stuff they spray.

+1
So what else did they not tell that you had to find on your own? Just doesn't seem ethical . . .
If you're willing to wait (several months) for a new car to be built, you should get what you agreed to buy plus some "mea culpas" (ie equivalent substitute car, not a Toyota Yaris nor an Audi Q7) from the dealer. It sounds like you already paid/financed the car so they have your money. They either stand by their quality or don't. It's not your fault or reputation on the line, it's theirs!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1
So what else did they not tell that you had to find on your own?
If you're willing to wait (several months), you should get what you agreed to buy.
Not willing to wait unfortunately. What are my other options? Have them locate a car? Walk away? Frustrating!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd inspect it after the repair and decide. A decent body shop will be able to make it look brand new.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Not willing to wait unfortunately. What are my other options? Have them locate a car? Walk away? Frustrating!
Sorry, was updating my post before/while you quoted.

Since dealer gots your cash, dealer should provide you an equivalent loaner (like another XC90), not something less like a Toyota Yaris or Audi Q7 or BMW X5/7.

There are others on the forum who can chime in on when to appeal to Volvo corporate, legal options, etc, but I recommend just asking/discussing with the dealer first. Maybe they are reasonable and want to do their best to resolve this. Won't know unless you try. Let us know!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1
So what else did they not tell that you had to find on your own? Just doesn't seem ethical . . .
If you're willing to wait (several months) for a new car to be built, you should get what you agreed to buy plus some "mea culpas" (ie equivalent substitute car, not a Toyota Yaris nor an Audi Q7) from the dealer. It sounds like you already paid/financed the car so they have your money. They either stand by their quality or don't. It's not your fault or reputation on the line, it's theirs!
I have not paid yet so I can easily walk away

·
Registered
421 Posts
I went to pick up my new 2019 XC 60 T8 a few weeks back.....found a small scratch......Had them repair it first.....they gave me a loaner T8 for the week. Couldn't see/feel it when I went back. If I had..would have walked away.....they took it to an actual detail shop.....so they said......I laid it out in a previous email that if it wasn't scratch/ding free, I wouldn't accept the vehicle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I went to pick up my new XC90 today and found a paint chip (deep, basically down to the metal) about 1cm in circumference on the front bumper of the car ( I did not take a picture ) and a very minor dent in the hood. The dealer quickly offered to fix it and I will come back in when it is done to re-inspect and finalize the deal. My concern is the paint matching vs the factory paint. Opinions? Should I ask for a new vehicle (they do not have another matching vehicle on the lot)
The front bumper isn't made of metal so not sure what metal you were seeing

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have not paid yet so I can easily walk away
I would walk away. IMO they lost my trust by not being upfront about it, despite quickly offering a remedy. This isn't a $50 kids bike. Just hope the next customer is told upfront about the defect whether the repair happens or not.

I'm assuming the dealer does an inspection of vehicles received from the factory to catch this sort of thing, unless someone at their dealership caused the damage after the delivery.

Trust is a big deal for me. "Easy to lose, hard to earn back" . . .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is not my car but I've highlighted the location of scratch (red) and small dent (yellow). Not sure why the picture is not loading. Here is the url

https://i.imgur.com/BB9oBnN.jpg

Aren't these type of issues common with delivery? The dent doesn't concern me, it seems easily fixable. But the paint matching DEFINITELY does

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Ask for a new car. It will rust later and then the dealer won't know you. Also factory paint is better than the stuff they spray.

Yep, I see a lot of rusting plastic bumpers. :rolleyes:

Any decent body shop will have absolutely no problem matching it. If you really want to get crazy, they can replace the bumper with a pre-painted one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dealer scratched my hood when my car was 2 weeks old. I insisted on a new hood.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, what is the consensus? Is it safer to ask for a new car (wait or locate), allow them to repair (perhaps have issues post-sale w/ paint match?) or work with a new dealer to purchase a different color.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ask them to replace the bumper with a new one

And to fix the dented body panel (or replace with a new one)

As for the rust... I haven’t yet seen a plastic part rusting, so I wouldn’t worry about this too much

·
Registered
223 Posts
From my understanding, Volvo doesn't recommend repainting the front or rear bumpers. The dealer can order a new one straight from the factory that is already painted. For the hood, are there any paint damage? If not, maybe pdr will be the best option?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From my understanding, Volvo doesn't recommend repainting the front or rear bumpers. The dealer can order a new one straight from the factory that is already painted. For the hood, are there any paint damage? If not, maybe pdr will be the best option?
Where did you hear/see that Volvo doesn't recommending repainting? It is a large piece to repaint. Will there be a paint matching issue with ordering a new bumper? No paint damage to the hood

·
Registered
413 Posts
Where did you hear/see that Volvo doesn't recommending repainting? It is a large piece to repaint. Will there be a paint matching issue with ordering a new bumper? No paint damage to the hood
It comes from Volvo - so will there be a paint matching issue?? I doubt it. If there's no paint damage to the hood I would keep the original panel, and get the dealer to do PDR on it.

But honestly, if you haven't paid for it, its not your car - so go get one somewhere else

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It comes from Volvo - so will there be a paint matching issue?? I doubt it. If there's no paint damage to the hood I would keep the original panel, and get the dealer to do PDR on it.

But honestly, if you haven't paid for it, its not your car - so go get one somewhere else
To be clear, I have not paid for the vehicle. I walked away and they said they would get it fixed this week. Would I be out of line asking for them to replace the bumper instead of repainting? Or perhaps to locate and deliver a new car from out of state ( I have located a car 5 hours away ). Of course, the dealer could walk away from the deal in this situation or ask for some kind of deposit so they know they are not going through the expense for nothing

1 - 20 of 79 Posts