SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Finally going to add a awd to the mix of the old bricks.Was going to see what you guys thought of this car?its a 07 137000 automatic,the dealer said nothing was wrong with it it's going to 6700 plus tax What do you guys think good deal?

·
Registered
438 Posts
The 07 auto was pretty good from what I hear on here. Is it the wagon or sedan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
There is less demand for auto sedan's, you can probably work them down on that price depending on what shape the rest of the car is in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I wanted a manual. but the wife doesn't want a manual.and I tried to talk them down and that's as low as they will go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are the cons on the 07's ?I know the angle gear in the 04's are faulty ?And the tranny's in the 04's autos Are weak right?the only thing iam really worried about is a tranny. Because I bought my wife Xc90 t6 I know the tranny's in those are weak.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
No. The angle gear for every P2 V70/S60 is identical. The collar sleeve that goes between the transmission and angle gear is what fails (aside from the angle gear starting to weep). The 04-05 automatic transmission is just a normal aw55 that's torque limited. 06-07 have the TF80 which is a 6 speed that's not torque limited. 06 had some early build valve body issues. I'd be more concerned with the condition of the suspension at that mileage... It will need everything if it has not been done. And if you can't do it yourself you're looking at a lot of money.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ill second that. If you can't work on these yourself, don't buy one. Unless you have money money money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I was thinking what's the best code reader to use.because if the dealer reset the codes there is still a way to pull them right?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Well I was thinking what's the best code reader to use.because if the dealer reset the codes there is still a way to pull them right?
VIDA/DICE. I'll second the others and say if you aren't going to work on it yourself, it's going to be a costly upkeep.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the dealer cleared codes and nothing is up will the vida/dice pull anything or say anything is wrong with the system like anti skid or anything to do with the suspension?

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the dealer cleared codes and nothing is up will the vida/dice pull anything or say anything is wrong with the system like anti skid or anything to do with the suspension?
Yes, you will be able to see stored codes and you can even see codes that showed up during a drive cycle that went away on the next cycle.

VIDA/DICE is the first purchase you should be doing after getting a R.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The Sedan looks like a good choice. You could probably get it for 6k. It is an 07 so it doesn't have torque limiting that the 04 does. 06 and up Rs have a 6 speed geartronic automatic transmissions, and an updated AWD system. in 07 from everything i've read had most of the kinks worked out, and have a stronger collar gear I've heard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea there not budging On the price.It seems like the 07 will have less problems then the 04 even the 07 has more miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
07 does not mean you don't have valve body issues on the Auto. You need to verify transmission serial #.

The Valve Body should be replaced to address the following symptoms:
1. Customer complaints about 2-3 upshift quality. The shift may be described as harsh, or as a shudder. The symptom is usually more apparent during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
2. Customer complaints of shudder when slowing down, just before coming to a stop. The symptom may also be described as a harsh downshift just before coming to a stop.
3. Neutral condition in 4th, 5th & 6th gear; normal behavior in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Reverse. One or more of the following DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) may be present: P073400, P073500, P072900, P089600.
4. Neutral condition in all gears except 5th & Reverse, usually with DTC P273300 set. DTCs for gear ratio(s) may also be set such as P073000, P073100, P073200, or P073400.

Note: Transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later already have the latest valve body which is designed to prevent these symptoms.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Where is the serial number located at on the tranny?Cause that's my main Concern
I just went out to the caR to see how I would find it again. The transmission is sitting basically directly underneath the airbox. The intake tube to the engine exits the back of the airbox (towards the cabin). Follow this tube back and then look down underneath it. The transmission is the gray unit underneath the box. Look back as far as you can on the transmission and you'll see an upside-down black and silver tag which says "Volvo" and "Aisin" on it. The bottom number is the serial number. The tag looks like this, but with our transmission #'s on it:

EDIT: Also, if the caR is at a dealer, make them check the serial # for you. Then, if the number puts it inside the valve body range, use that against them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts