SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my exhaustive search for a family car to replace my '08 C30 (mostly exhaustive cause I want a manual but have started settling for autos) I found an '06 V50 T5 at a Mini dealer. Asking is $9500 but planning to talk it down. Anywho, went to look at it today, turns out the dealer hadn't had it inspected yet. Sales guy asks me to come drive the car so I can hear the noise it's making. So we take it for a very short spin around the block, and clear as day is a lot of popping and knocking from what sounded like the right front passenger side. It was loudest during straight line acceleration, but was also very noisy over any bumps.

Given this is a car at a dealer, and the salesman even admitted no mechanical inspection has been done, anyone wanna take a stab at what that noise might be and if I should simply pound sand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
+1 or sway bar end link.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's either a sway bar end link, a strut mount or a motor mount. Easiest and cheapest fix is the end link. Then the motor mount, then the strut mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Right front engine mount, The one under the coolant reservoir. Look for a dark brownish stain under the mount, Thats the fluid from the mount breaking open. If it's a sway bar link you drive straight then move the steering wheel back and forth from the 11 to 2 oclock position you'll know its a sway bar link if you here the noise with each turn of the wheel back and forth type noise, Upper strut mounts don't break often on this car, Sometimes they creak making slow speed sharp turns. Pretty much the only other things I'd look at are if the struts are leaking, Could be a strut, Or very worn out lower control arm bushings. Of all the possibilities I listed none are very serious repairs, All pretty simple. I'd go with the v50 there really good cars, Very sought after, They didn't make alot of them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool cool. My guess was going to be bushings. Car fax showed the rear bushings as being replaced, but nothing on front. Dealership is obviously going to take care of whatever it is.

Any thoughts on price? I'm looking at this V50 and an '06 XC70. V50 is $9500 with some wiggle room, XC70 is $9998 with less room to wiggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Cheaper is always better of course. I bought mine for $12k 3 years ago. Dealer I bought it from showed me their paperwork and after purchase at auction, detailing, and a couple small repairs they made $300. Price was in the lower end of average for the mileage, condition, and area.

KBB shows $6200-9100 for a T5 AWD auto in your area. I think if you can get them down closer to $7500 you'll be doing good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Any vibration in the steering wheel? even slight, my car has a very slight vibration at idle and when going down the road, I'm figuring that it's a bushing of some sort but cant find any bushings that are torn and have no cel on the dash. Good luck with the purchase though; I think you could get the v50 for $8500 no issue especially since it's close to the end of the year.

also is some vibration felt in the wheel normal with a old car?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't remember mileage off hand but want to say it was 89K roughly. KBB had it listed at $7700 fair price, with $6900 on the low and $8000 something on the high. This one is not AWD.

Didn't feel any vibration in the steering wheel, just heard a lot of pops during acceleration, and extra knocks going over bumps. No extra noises or steering feel during turns though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Cecil - check the rear motor mount. I'm betting yours is beat.

Swimmer - I'm betting LCA. Literally a 25 min job if you include a water break. Super easy especially with a nice air impact gun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jeff, thanks for the reply. I always thought the s40, v50, and c30 are virtually the same and I have the t5 c30. It has a rear motor mount and I thought it only had the 3 mounting points (2 on top, one left one right) and a transmission torque mount? I've been trying to figure this one out for a while so thanks for your help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
603- did you look at the engine and tell that is was the mount? Or did you just replace it and it went away? I've looked at mine and nothing looks abnormal. It's not shaking violently and the rubber is not torn, although some of the brown stuff that aparently is in the mount looks like it had made its way to the top of the mount and stained the side under the coolent tank also you can push down of the center of the rubber should it be firm? thanks again this is great help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just replaced it on the S40 a couple days ago. I could tell once I read and searched around my symptoms. The rubber on the mount was worn and torn looking but I am also at 175k miles and I'm sure it was never replaced. Vibrations in the wheel and also a erch type sound? (Blanking on the actual word) when going over bumps

·
Registered
117 Posts
thank you, your old mount wasn't actually ripped though? Is the new one firm? I can push the top part of my mounts' rubber down realitivly easy. yes to the vibrations mine are at idle and while driving. You had a steering wheel vibration at idle and while driving similar to mine, that was fixed with the new pasenger mount? sorry to ask so many questions, just want to make sure.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, mine was torn I wish I took a picture. I believe the new one is firm when pushed I didn't really check. When going from higher 3k rpm down to cruising idle in 5th I would get a steering wheel vibration. Read somewhere on here most vibrations are due to the PSMM. Basically I winged it and was right, but I believe that is your problem.

As to not steer away from the thread I think you could get that V50 for wayyy cheaper than 9500, especially when you drove it with a knocking sound.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I think it might speak volumes about the Dealer if he has you test it out without even giving it a mechanic check over...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts