SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caved. After three months of searching in vain for a '83-85 4spd, I saw an ad for a '92 245DL in what looked to be good condition for a pretty good price. I met the owner, drove the car, and bought it two days later :)

It's a one-owner local car. Tons of miles (odo broke at 255k), but I have a stack of maintenance receipts from 2005 on - his wife threw out the prior. Exterior is great, paint is outstanding compared to what I'm used to. Driver's seat needs a new vinyl (I thought all the later DL's were cloth) cover, but the foam is good.

Questions for the group:

- What size are the door speakers? 4" shallow depth? And do the speaker bezels just pop off? My prior cars had small screw-on bezels.

- Replacing the OE radio. I'm assuming there's not a direct plug-in harness (aka Crutchfield) that bypasses the factory amp?

- This car has the large clock instead of a tach. Is there a sender wire behind the cluster like on my old '83?

- Speaking of pulling the cluster - is it end-user friendly to pull the airbag steering wheel? Or should I just plan on wrestling the cluster out around it? Is the '92 speedometer gear-driven like the old ones?

Thanks in advance. I'll post more pics when I get the proper tag transferred.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Funny, I bought a '92 245 manual a few weeks back; it's not as good as yours but I only paid $1500 CDN (no pics yet ... too busy with other stuff). Is yours manual or automatic? I haven't really searched around my find yet but I have a couple of answer. My wagon has a big tach and small clock, so I'd guess that the wiring in your car would be the same. '92 wagons have the LH2.4 (or 3.1 for California) EFI and EZK ignition which was introduced on '89 cars, so the speedo is electronic with a sender on the back of the diff and a wire that runs to the cluster. As for the air bag, there are disable instructions in the Bentley manual, which is a pretty good source of info compared to the Haynes manual, so if you don't have I suggest you buy one. There's some good on-line stuff too, and here are the two better ones:

http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/ (wiring diagrams and much more)

http://www.k-jet.org/documents/greenbooks/200-series/ (green books, but not all up-loaded yet)

Nice find, BTW, and I hope you like it.

PS: Check the tailgate harnesses as they wear out in the tailgate hinges. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one is an automatic, I ended up paying $1300 (twice as much as I've ever paid for a 240 :p ).

Good to know about the speedometer - the cable on the older ones has always given me pause when installing a tach. I think I still have a spare, plus the small clock from Boxy 2.0, so hopefully I'll get those swapped in soon.

Thanks for the links, I'll start checking those out.

Oh, and the tailgate wiring - BTDT. So far everything works fine back there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this the proper procedure for R/R of the airbag wheel?

I have a 1993 240 classic wagon. The airbag cover is splitting open. The steering wheel itself has separated from the core inside. It has been annoying for the last few years. So this weekend I got rid of it. First disconnect the battery. Remove drivers seat. Remove carpet under seat and you'll see the air bag controller and backup power supply. Disconnect and remove both units.

Now remove airbag from the steering wheel. T30 torx. Remove knee bolster. Next remove steering wheel. Remove column covers. Now remove and let hang the wiper switch and turn signal switch. Disconnect ground wire from the mounting bracket for the two switches. It's on the back at the top of the bracket. Remove two side fasteners and pull bracket outward slightly. Disconnect airbag orange wire from the harness in the dash. Now remove bracket from steering column. Don't lose the spring for the steering wheel. Now install the non airbag bracket. Be careful with the ground wire for the horn contact. Support it from behind when you push the connector on. Slide the bracket into place making sure to position it correctly with the ground contact at the top. Remount the switches. Install steering wheel.
From a guy replacing his airbag wheel with the small steering wheel. I'm putting the 'bag back in, just need room to pull the cluster.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
AFIK yes, but the links above should help.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't made any progress on the tach or audio fronts, but I did install a set of e-codes tonight. Much better.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I gotta get some e-codes too ... when I can afford them. :rolleyes: Where did you get yours and how much did you get dinged for them?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the repro kit from FCP Groton. $330

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-240-european-e-code-headlight-headlights

For the most part, it was a direct R/R. I had to steal the headlight trim screws from the old lights, and reuse the trim and screw from the turn signals. Ground wires for the turn signals weren't long enough, so I had to cut and splice into the stock wiring. The wire colors for the 900x to H4 harness match the factory wires, so that was simple.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Thanks, I thought that FCP had stopped selling e-codes. It's nice to know they have them when I get some $$$$. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts