SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an '86. Found it with a blown transmission (back half of transmission was sitting on the trunklid) and a sign that said Free Car. Title and Keys in the front seat, police said title was clean. I forgot to check if it was an auto or standard when I looked at it so lets assume it's an auto. How much for a new tranny? Are they hard to come by?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Sounds like it has a ZF trans! If it's a 4cyl gas engine and a 740 (not a 760) then it should have the 4spd ZF22L trans. You should look for a 4cyl non-turbo 740/760 in a junkyard for an AW70 transmission. It's a 3spd+OD, and it's nearly bulletproof, so it should be easy to find one. To change over to the AW70, you'll also need the driveshaft, over drive wiring, and over drive relay at the very least. Also get the shifter and the shifter cover from the donor car as well. I think that's about it.

Look at the shifter cover in the free car and see if it has a 4 as one of the gears, and see if it has a button on the side of the shifter (a "4" and no button = ZF). If it only goes up to 3, and it has a button, then it's an AW70.

·
Registered
188 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by DammitBeavis:
It's an '86. Found it with a blown transmission (back half of transmission was sitting on the trunklid) and a sign that said Free Car. Title and Keys in the front seat, police said title was clean. I forgot to check if it was an auto or standard when I looked at it so lets assume it's an auto. How much for a new tranny? Are they hard to come by?
awww-right!! Free is good!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.