SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Volvo entusiasts. I own an '08 C30, but also have a 21 month old kid and second child on the way. I've been trying to find a manual wagon to replace the not so easy to access back seat C30, and I found an '04 V70R for $7900.

Details: 2 owner, 159,000 miles. New clutch at 96K, AWD Collar and angle gear at 115K, timing belt at 159K.

Questions I have. #1 should I even be considering an R as a daily driver family car? I know maintenance can be killer, but my wife and I have owned nothing but Volvos so expensive repairs aren't anything new.

#2 what do you guys think of the car and the asking price. Thanks!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just found the V70R I was talking about on the classifieds section. Any idea how to delete posts since I know the owner is a member and can just PM with him?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I DD my R... Just have to be willing to fix it right when it breaks or beforehand... If you keep on top of maintenance you should be ok for anything short of the totally random and unforeseeable things. The AG/shocks/whatever will give you ample warning it is time to fix. Only exception to that is the clutch slave, radiator, some sensors, and cracked sleeve. The car is sensitive to throw codes before it is a serious issue a lot of times. You need VIDA to own an R.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I dd my R as well. But it breaks often. Or as morbo would say, it's problems are numerous and belligerent.

Still, I think it's even with the other wagons out there, but only because they mostly suck. Saab combi, Subaru, Audi, bmw, Mercedes. I have owned everything but the Saab and the others weren't great by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've just about wrapped up my first year DDing my 04 VR. I've put on around 15K miles on it in that year and it's been great. Like everyone else said, you just need to keep up on preventive maintenance and be prepared to have to buy expensive parts. My wagon currently has its own savings account, lol. All this and Hounddogger has it right, a first purchase should be a VIDA/DICE setul.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
I also DD my VR. I would say compare to my previous bimmer and saab, no different in maintenance cost. The only cheap maintenance car i had owned was honda civic si.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful advice guys. I've heard putting away $100 a month is a safe bet. My wife and I just dropped $2376 into her '06 XC90, so we I know Volvos every now and then hit with some high repairs before going for longer stretches of low cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mine has cost me $3k every month I've owned it. Of course, since that's 3 months and it now has all poly and coil overs and enough new parts to kill a horse it's not really a thing lol

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a V70R. I have family members who have R's. Great fun. Great cars. But I have found them to be the most expensive Volvo to maintain by a long shot. Lot's of computers, awd, computer controlled shocks. Even the headlights are computer controlled. Lot's to go haywire. Tire costs have been higher too (lots of power, finicky alignment, lots of power :) ) So expect it to exceed your expectations on maintenance costs. Also expect it to exceed your expectations on the fun factor. I tell my wife often that I expect our old 240 to outlive the R just by virtue of its simplicity (of course that assumes she doesn't keep wrecking it, but that's another story). But on the 240 the accelerator pedal is nothing more than an engine volume adjustment.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey, my '07 is available for C$7750 (less than US$6k). It's a GT, so makes it easier with a kid, but still plenty quick, and I think you just need to figure out shipping and how to swap the speedometer (kms only).
Am selling because my new '16 R-Design V-60 is here. Won't be as sporty but it is newer and more reliable, and one of the few AWD wagons that looks even better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts