SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my bike holder in and first thing the directions say is do not use with bikes equipped with carbon fiber forks

anybody throw their bikes on there anyway?

whats the worst that could happen?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Fork mounted Bike Holder - anyone use carbon forks? (max power)

I use it with an all-carbon Easton fork (carbon drop-outs and all) and with some carbon forks with aluminum drop-outs.

I cringe when I do it... I didn't read that warning until I had already bought the rack system. No probs so far.

I think most fork-mounted rack systems will carry that warning for carbon forks. Some carbon fork manufacturers also give that warning with their aftermarket forks.

On roadbikereview.com there were a couple guys that had their all carbon forks snap from being in a fork-mounted rack system. Don't remember what kinda fork or what kinda rack they were using.

My only alternative is buying an expensive hitch mounted system. I hate the look of the roof racks that mount on the downtube and have both wheels on the bike.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Fork mounted Bike Holder - anyone use carbon forks? (fletcher33)

Searched on roadbikereview for those threads but didn't find them. A lot of guys are fork-mounting their carbon fork bikes w/o issues from what i did find and read.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: Fork mounted Bike Holder - anyone use carbon forks? (max power)

I carry all of my bikes on the roof. I had only had a problem with carbon forks when I drove the car into the garage with the bike on top. Other than that bonehead move, no problems in the past 7 years. I have had my Lemond up to 105 on the roof. What rack system are you using?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.